Tuesday, November 19, 2019

It's more than just teaching

I've been seeing so many memes lately saying "it's November. I'm tired" or "go to grad school they said..it'll be fun, they said..", and many more. 

It's November and I'm feeling it. The end of the semester is bringing final projects, papers, presentations, and everything in between. While I may be losing some steam here, I have to keep telling myself "it's worth it." The hours working on everything- teaching, grading, reading, writing- it's making me better. Getting my masters is more than just getting another diploma. Getting my masters is about being equipped with the skills and knowledge I need to confidently move to the next chapter in my professional career. Getting my masters and being in grad school is about the opportunities I have while I'm here.  

Being in grad school has taught me a lot already in my first semester. The biggest thing I've learned is that I am capable. I am capable of learning more than I thought I could, writing more than I ever have, and teaching independently. Teaching in grad school has exceeded my expectations by far. I came in not knowing what I was doing, and let's be honest I still have some days like that, but now I'm more confident when I walk into a classroom. All the readings this semester have slowly been influencing my outlook on teaching, and I'm thankful for the scholarship that has shaped my foundation of pedagogy. But one scholar, to me, stands out above all- Freire. 

Freire will be forever ingrained in my memory. He has been the most influential scholar from this semester regarding my approach to pedagogy. From him, I've learned that it's not just about reverting to a banking model of education. I don't want to be the teacher who mindlessly deposits information into my students expecting them to simply memorize it and repeat it (p. 72) Where's the power in that? Not with my students. The thing I hate to see is when students are blankly staring off when I'm talking. That's when I know I've lost them. That's when I know I need to get them up and moving and actively involved in the content. I don't want to be a teacher who dictates the power in the classroom, I want to engage in co-intentional learning and help work with students to engage in education as a practice of freedom (p. 81)

Freire leaves some big shoes to fill. Of course, I'm not perfect. I have to make a conscious effort to work with my students and actively distribute power in the classroom. It's going to take a lot of reflexivity and self-awareness for me to follow in Freire's footsteps. But I also want to be more in my pedagogy. I want to be a teacher that uses Freire's perspectives in combination with critical communication pedagogy, heart work, and engaged pedagogy. I want to offer my students tools they can use to feel empowered and become co-creators in their learning. 

It's more than just teaching. It's about talking with my students and engaging in dialogue. It's about empowering them. It's about breaking down barriers and making the classroom a place of learning and engagement. It's about speaking with my students and not for them. It's about questioning the positions in the classroom and making it a place of co-creation. It's about caring about them as individuals. My job is much more than just teaching. 

I'm grateful for the mentors, authors, fellow TAs, and friends who have helped guide me through my first semester of teaching. We almost have one semester, or two, under our belts!

#andthatstheT

3 comments:

  1. Gabby,
    Freire has also been the most influential scholar to me that we've covered this semester. Like many of us, most of my educational experience has been based on the banking model, where you just sit there passively until the teacher's done talking. I think it's really empowering to understand that teaching can be so much more than just helping students learn facts-- it can be about giving the tools they need to think critically for themselves. Freire helps me understand that teaching at its best can be used as a way to empower my students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gabby,

    The pressure is definitely on as we enter our last few weeks! As my assignments pile up, along with the grading I have to do for each of my courses, I can't help but stress and worry, and a *little* voice in my head brings doubt about my own abilities. But we have to remember, we wouldn't be here in the first place if we weren't capable! Next step: consider how we can incorporate dialogue in the classroom in order to emphasis a model of "with not for" that highlights our students capabilities as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gabby,

    Real talk, I've been exhausted since August. I agree that graduate school has been an entire new beast. It has been a lot to deal with but also the biggest climb that I have undertaken in awhile. I feel like the stress has been getting greater as we square out the last few weeks, but we have this! We are almost there. Continue engaging in dialogue! It really teaches us so much!

    ReplyDelete