Thursday, November 21, 2019

Action and Power


Advocacy in Action was such an interesting class project. It reminded me of the PR event and design project my friends and I did in undergrad but instead these students took it a step further and made it come to life. It was amazing seeing how this project played out from start to finish. 

What really made it so interesting to me though was how they had full complete control over it. It was rather amazing getting to see shy students grow within the groups they were in. For every team, I allowed them to have control of the classroom and use it to their advantage during work days. I was worried and somewhat nervous of doing this but surprisingly enough they were very organized and utilized this time to make announcements in class. The leadership team was the first to make an announcement and use the class time for voting and coming to a common decision for the donations. More and more teams did this as well and soon enough when work days were announced, they asked if their team could start the class that day. Their enthusiasm for leading the discussion and class was so great to see. It reminded me of how Freire spoke of the oppressed and teachers giving students the opportunity to break out of this. They had full space and authority where they started with an idea and then went through the process of making it a tangible and real thing! Maybe I'm just nerding out but that's just so cool to me. #SucksYes!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Jen,

    I am so glad that your leadership team stepped up to really be active in the class's development. I wish, I had pushed my leadership team to be more active in sharing the space and authority. However, I did allow the class to control some of our activities and happenings in class. Did you ever find hesitation in your group to lead? I feel that my shy students started to come out of their shells as they were pushed by their group members. The classroom of 30 strangers became 25 strangers (or less depending on their sociability) and thus they had at least 5 other people to cheer them on and have their back.

    ReplyDelete