Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Feeling Empowered

I have immensely dreaded teaching the upcoming topics of race and culture. By far the biggest reason why is that although I Identity as a person of color, I do not feel that I am always perceived as a person of color. Which often leads to me over compensating, many times this makes sharing my experiences sound as if I am on a soapbox or bashing one racial side of my identity. However, the most effective classroom conversations I have experienced as a student have been facilitated by professors who use ample personal experiences. Hooks echoes this sentiment throughout Teaching to 
Transgress, and gives concrete ways to enact engaged pedagogy through personal confession.  

Hooks discussed the need for instructors to express vulnerability as well as lead by example to create a safe, welcoming space for student’s personal confessions. Hooks (1994, p. 21) stated, “When education is the practice of freedom, students are not the only ones who are asked to share, to confess. Engaged pedagogy does not seek simply to empower students.” This quote spoke deeply to me, encouraging me to let go of the vulnerability I hold to tightly and take more risks in the classroom.

After reading Hooks’ words, I am now feeling empowered to use connecting examples of my own experiences to enhance classroom discussions. While still a bit anxious, I am ready to share my confessional narratives as well as hear and discuss the narratives my students offer.   

#thefeels 


hooks, b.  (1994).  Teaching to transgress:  Education as the practice of freedom.  New York:  Routledge.

5 comments:

  1. I think using personal examples in your teaching is a fantastic way to get the point across in your class discussions/lectures! It is important to be selective about what you disclose, and to make sure that your personal experience is relevant to the discussion being had. This book has been my favorite so far in the class, and I think hooks is going to be particularly useful when teaching students about race and gender.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teaching about race and gender are topics that I am most nervous about as well. A common theme through out the semester has been, be true to yourself. This first semester especially, we need to teach from experience and, hopefully, as we go through subsequent semesters we will be given more tools to teach with. We must arm ourselves with the stories of the experienced pedagogues who have gone before us down these scary roads. As long as we are being authentic, we should be learning, right??

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Confession" is a really interesting word because it implies guilt of some kind. That really is how it feels when we are faced with sharing a perspective that could hurt people. The idea of being complicit(guilty) by refusing risk and have faith really hit home with me. Silence isn't as comfortable or noble as it was a month ago. Danny and Becca are right, as long as we are conscientious and authentic we will be examples of learning and reflexivity, even if our perspectives are warped sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAS GIRL - use those personal experiences! Teaching about race and gender is difficult and I also think that it is important to remember who you're teaching. Our students in 1010 aren't used to discussions about race; however some students face racial issues/discrimination everyday. Your personal experiences have the power to make those students so comfortable, knowing that they are not alone. This can totally create the safe space needed for one awesome learning environment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for being so supportive of one another. You all make me smile!

    ReplyDelete