Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Excitement Sprinkled with Apprehension

Hey y'all, I'm back with another dose of #happyhappyjoyjoy (maybe).



Now, let's talk a little bit about communication apprehension (CA). Waldeck, Plax, and Kearney described CA as a pretty large part of student-focused research in communication studies. CA is "an individual's level of fear or anxiety associated with either real or anticipated communication with another person or persons" (McCroskey, 1970, p. 41). So in other words, talking is hard and it causes some individuals to experience a lot of anxiety.

I have found out through this semester that many of my students have very high levels of situational CA (aka a huge fear of public speaking). These students are fantastic, come up with amazing speech ideas and outlines, and then miss their speech days because they are too nervous to say their ideas in front of other people. The worst part about our reading this week was that many scholars have tried out various "treatments" for CA, but found none that worked better than just enrolling in a public speaking class and basically hoping for the best.

I'm really saddened by the fact that many of my students would prefer to skip an assignment than to speak to us. I try my best to encourage my students to show them that their words are worthy of being said, but there's only so much I can do for my students who experience such high levels of CA they won't even do speeches in my office hours.

However, I need to not take this personally. This week's reading showed me that a student's comfort level with public speaking begins well before my class and I cannot be so hard on myself when a student decides to not give a presentation. The best thing I can do is be as encouraging to them and excited for them as possible in order to give them a safe space to speak if they choose to.

So I guess this is mostly a reminder to myself: my students' levels of CA do not define them as people. The best I can do is be #excited for the steps they do take to do well in the course.

3 comments:

  1. Taylor, you insight is so great. I really relate to the fact that it's sad and disappointing that our students rather skip an assignment rather than express to us their anxiety. I try to express my concern to my students as well however some of them do not care, which is really hard for me. I really like the positive vibe you have and I will try to do the same:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting when you experience High CA and Low CA students in the same sample of presentations. There are excellent speeches with great topics and organization, but timid delivery; and then you have the other end of the spectrum- students who wing it with gusto/without thesis... for 9 minutes. Peer and self evaluations don't always reflect an awareness these strengths and weakness, and it is hard not to take it personally. It's like, "GUYS, this is real and true and important." I guess that's what it feels like to devote yourself to something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to be one of "those" students with the highest CA...and to anyone that knows me now, you can see that I am living proof that you can grow out of High CA! I love that your post reminds us that as teachers we can not change our students, but we can encourage them and provide the tools necessary for them to learn and grow. Don't be hard on yourself, I am sure past teachers of mine could have thought the about me. Rest assured Taylor, from my own personal experiences and knowing the type of teacher you are, I can honestly say you are doing more than you realize!

    ReplyDelete