Sunday, November 20, 2016

Miscommunication

As promised, more grad school memes.  This past week, I felt relieved in reading Fasset and Warren.  As usual, the readings tied into what was going on in my classroom.  "Communication creates all possible worlds; we render our experiences sensible through language.  Words aren't 'just words,' but rather our means to interpret and act on our experiences" (p.62).
This week I struggled with my two 1010 classes because one class seemed to be on top of their s*** for their peer teach and the other class were running around like chickens with their heads cut off.  I told them the same things in each class and explained the directions clearly (to my knowledge).  And just like every other assignment, I asked if anyone had any questions or needed clarification.  My first class seemed to understand and when it came time for their presentations, almost all the groups had really funny, creative videos!  I was really in awe and was a proud mom for a brief moment.  Then my second class came in on presentation day and 4 out of 5 groups weren't done and were confused on the assignment.  I was very confused and had to sit down, re-explain the assignment, and then have a discussion about where the miscommunication happened.  Basically, we had a come to Jesus moment and finally I told them that they need to speak up or email me if they don't understand.Luckily we finished their presentations at the same time as the first class, however I felt as though their videos weren't as good.  I was a little disappointed and even though we figured everything out, I am still unsure about where the miscommunication happened.
Overall, I need to keep in mind that my classes are different.  Just because I explain the same thing in the same way, doesn't mean that both classes are going to understand.  As a teacher, I need to be adaptable to the different environments and learning styles.  Each student brings a different experience to class. I need to keep this in mind for the rest of the semester and the rest of my teaching in order to avoid miscommunications like these.




4 comments:

  1. YES. I love this post. I think that taking Fasset and Warren's quote in this context is so great. Words aren't just words and they have different interpretations to different people. Sometimes, you're going to have those classes with students who understand everything and other times you'll have classes where you just need to take a step back to explain things to them. I think that being adaptable is so important and your example about your classes and peer-teach is so vital to all of our classrooms. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really appreciate your courage by sitting down and re-explaining the assignment. It's so easy to lose your cool in that moment, but you did exactly what you needed to do. You ACTED on the issue, which is something I'm sure your students also appreciated. Sometimes it's important to reassess the situation after a miscommunication, and it's enlightening to see you handle it so well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I had to name the number one thing I've learned this semester teaching is that I'm going to do so much better my second semester.

    My two classes have been very similar to your situation - I was worried early on that my first class of the day, my first class ever, was going to remain the guinea pig class that saw all my mistakes. They ended up being the class that generated the most interesting examples and discussion topics. I'm sure my second class must be sick of hearing me say, "Well, in my last class we talked about this,"

    And then that same class, the early one, ended up being consistently less prepared when it came to putting together speeches. Who knows! I'll do better next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how I know your pain! My first class seems to understand the directions and way more willing to ask questions. My second class, all I get are blank stares and no one ever asks questions. This showed in their speeches and peer teach videos. I almost always give the exact same directions and even incorporate the answers to questions my previous class asked. I have learned the hard way that I need to be more flexible and remember each class is different. I think you did the right thing addressing the issue and giving the second class more direction and time to complete the peer teach.

    ReplyDelete