Sunday, November 20, 2016

This is War

Chicken Funny War Picture
Not really. I just thought this chick was cute. Anywho, sometimes we might feel as if we're engaging in an all out war within our classrooms. That's at least how I felt this entire semester. At times I felt like I was talking to a brick wall instead of 33 media arts students. However, I underestimated them, and didn't check in with them as much as I had the previous semester. How was I supposed to get necessary feedback if I was asking for it? How could I expect anyone to #HELPme? 

Peer Teach actually showed me the strengths of my students. Not only that, but they grasped course concepts a lot better than I originally thought. Quite honestly, they blew me away with their assignments. I couldn't be more proud of them. Most of the groups even cracked a couple of jokes at me within their videos, which relieved me to know they felt welcome to do so. Sure, a have few bad apples in my classroom, but it's just that, a few. I had been letting them bring me down most of the semester and not checking in with other students who were actually engaged. That's a pretty bad combination. 

This week's reading made me feel a bit better in terms of critical pedagogy. Although I didn't engage in a difficult conversation that needed to happen, I started to understand the opposition. Once I saw my "students from hell" make a decent video, I couldn't help but think I probably just wasn't reaching them in the right way. I'm started to read my students better, and now we're understanding each other. And sure, the semester is almost over, but I don't it's too late to salvage what's left. Like I said, this isn't war. 

3 comments:

  1. Great post, I like your comparison to teaching and war (even if you were just kidding!). It can really feel like war sometimes going into the classroom, and to reflect on my time as an undergraduate, it sometimes felt like going into conflict with not only the teacher, but also the students, and even the subject. I think it's great that you've not let your experience with a few bad students spoil it for the rest of the class. After all, "A few bad apples spoil the barrel."

    Keep up the great work, even if the semester is almost over! You're absolutely right, it is not at all too late to salvage what is left.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great teaching moment Cotton! I love the optimistic outlook you give in this post. It was a great reminder that we do not always realize what we are doing or the impact we are having on our students. It makes me smile knowing that you got a glimpse of that through Peer Teach projects. Whether your students recognize it now or down the road, you are making a difference. Stay strong and push through the remainder of the semester. You got this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cotton, I am so glad that you are finishing strong after this rough semester you’ve had. I often take my engaged students for granted, focusing all my energy on getting those students from hell to be more engaged or at least to be less disrupted. One of the most important things I have learned this year is that as teachers we cannot always see the ways we are reaching our students. Even with blank stares, we may be getting through to them. One of my classes truly surprised me with their peer teach videos and even included jokes directed at me or ones they knew I would like. It is an incredible feeling when you realize you are getting through to your students and that they are comfortable with you. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete