Sunday, November 6, 2016

SUFFER


       
  hooks stated passion of experience,
 “encompasses many feelings but particularly suffering, for there is a particular knowledge that comes from suffering. It is a way of knowing that is often expressed through the body, what it knows, what has been deeply inscribed on it through experience.”

             When I think of my own experiences within the last week, my student from hell comes to mind. Sitting down with her, hearing her story, and thinking of a plan to work with her really made me think of everything hooks stated. My students need me, and I need them for the best learning experience for both of us. If I do not allow dialogue, we cannot share and learn together. I must give everyone the benefit of the doubt. Honestly, I still need to think of a game plan for my first class, but hooks definitely provided material that I think puts a good endnote on how to develop community within the class. 

2 comments:

  1. Great post, I wonder how else educators/teachers can create that sense of community in the class. I think CLG's are necessary, but maybe insufficient, to achieve community within the classroom, same thing with dialogue. Hooks has some great ideas in this book and was truly a wonderful read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your honesty in this post Cotton. I know that you have been doing this a little longer than me, but I want you to know that I recognize you as a teacher. The honesty and reflexivity you share in your posts, in the classroom, and in our grading parties. I hope you realize how much I learn from you, and as much damage as a student from hell can bring, I can see how much you have grown as a teacher through it. Thank you for teaching me, through your teachings.

    ReplyDelete