Friday, November 18, 2016

Even my crazy uncle deserves a chance...

Fassett and Warren’s honest accounts of teaching experiences, good and bad, was extremely refreshing. The talk of failure, triumphs, love and much more that occur in the classroom reaffirmed that I am not in this alone nor am I the only one who choked on the first day. Not only did Fassett and Warren’s words encourage me, their words also provided much needed comfort in a week full of discomfort and not know what to say in my classroom.

Towards the end of Critical Communication Pedagogy, the section that comforted and encouraged me the most lies. The section is titled “Keeping Honest”, it houses a quote I think every one of us needed this week:

“One part of engaging racism, sexism, homophobia, classism, and the like with our students is               willingness… willingness to engage in difficult conversations in the first place. We can’t just               write someone off for not believing what we believe, for not voting how we voted, for not                   living as we  do, we have to inquire, understand where those beliefs comes from, and                           recognize that everyone has good reasons for their beliefs that is why dialogue is so                             important” (p.143)

Enacting critical communication pedagogy in the classroom entails the creation of a safe, engaging space. A space to have the difficult conversations and co-create a knowledge of understanding through open dialogue. In the next few weeks, maybe even years, it will be the work of educators to help students understand, process, and move forward after the outcome of this presidential election. Through critical communication pedagogy I believe we can aid in understanding, by employing the 10 commitments in each classroom we enter. Maybe even a step further and take the 10 commitments into the world with us each day, making a whole-hearted effort to understand the opposition as well as help them understand our stance.

Going further I am going to be more conscious in my use of critical communication pedagogy as well as utilize it to help my students and myself understand the positionality of others. I plan to take Fassett and Warren’s words into more than just the classroom and challenge myself to enter into dialogue with those who see the world differently than me (mostly trump supporters) not just simply write them off.

So, I guess I will take my first conscious stab at critical communication pedagogy at the Thanksgiving table. Anything my crazy uncle is going to say will be way worse (I HOPE) than what my students will throw at me. At the very least I will be better prepared to address my students the following week.


#WOKEAF  #PRAXISMAKEPERFECT 


Fassett, D. L., & Warren, J. T.  (2007). Critical communication pedagogy.  Thousand Oaks, CA:  Sage.

3 comments:

  1. Jordan, I love how you connected critical communication pedagogy to every day life. It's so important that our students understand that the things learned in the classroom extend to actual life, particularly in our current political climate. A great start to creating social change is through dialogue and although our classrooms give us a great platform to have that conversation, the Thanksgiving table is another place where this could happen. I wish you all the best of luck and remember we are all here for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Using critical communication pedagogy to educate your family around the Thanksgiving table is a fantastic idea to take what we use in the classroom, outside in the real world. I think that's where change really happens. Education is only valuable when we use it to transform the world around us, and I think the greatest amount of learning occurs inside that area of discomfort that you outline in your quote of Fassett and Warren. Having these conversations and creating meaningful dialogue, is a great way to prevent dogmatism and create understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What better way to translate critical communication pedagogy to the dinner table?! This is wonderful because it's just more proof that our work actually means something outside the classroom. After all, encouraging your family to #staywoke (as Danny would say) is a perfect example of how dialogue creates potential for critical communication. I wish you luck, and I'm proud of you!

    ReplyDelete