Monday, November 2, 2015

Quiet Students? Their Fear of Talking is Real

Image Source: FreeDigitalPhotos.net
The last two authors (Parker Palmer and bell hooks) we studied got me thinking about students’ fears and how those fears can prevent students from participating in class discussions. In this week’s reading assignment, we also learned about communication apprehension (CA), which points out that this type of fear is associated with “real or anticipated communication” (Waldeck et al., 2010, p. 162). Students with high CA are less talkative, and others often misinterpret that behavior. Unfortunately, teachers and students may think these quiet students are incompetent or unintelligent (Waldeck et al, 2010), which is a shame.

If we suspect students suffer from high CA, we should create activities to encourage them to communicate and help them overcome their anxiety; however, we should also check our own behavior towards them because, according to Holbrook (1987), lack of attention could reinforce their low self-confidence.

Great Ideas from Faculty:

Setting Expectations. Faculty advisor Nicki Monahan suggests we set clear expectations on the first day. She explains the importance of having all students contribute to the discussion right from the beginning. Instead, if we do all the talking, we are giving the impression that faculty members do all the talking and not students. Click here to watch Monahan’s enlightening video (Magnapublications, 2014).


Image Source: Twitter.com/HTXTeach
Disclosing Fear. Houston teacher “HTXTeach” discusses fear with his students. He shares his fear, and his class opens up about their fears. What a good way to launch a discussion, right?! His method reminds me of hooks’ comments that teachers must take risks and “share confessional narratives” (p. 21)—especially if we expect students to do the same.

Generally speaking, I wonder if students behave in the same way in all their classes. For example, if a student’s fear prevents them from talking in one class, will that same fear automatically impact their behavior in their other classes? What are your thoughts?

/ts

Resources
Holbrook, H.T. (1987). Communication Apprehension: The Quiet Student in Your Classroom. ERIC Clearinghouse on Reading and Communication Skills. Retrieved from http://www.ericdigests.org/pre-926/quiet.htm

hooks, b. (1994). Teaching to transgress: Education as the practice of freedom. New York: Routledge.

HTXTeach (2015). Twitter. Retrieved from https://twitter.com/HTXTeach

ImageryMajestic (2012). College Student Holding Notebook Stock Photo. ID 10096918  FreeDigitalPhotos.net. Retrieved from http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/images/Learning_g376-College_Student_Holding_Notebook_p96918.html 

Magnapublications (2014). How Do I Include Introverts in Class Discussions? YouTube. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnFoRPqkQeo

Palmer, P. J. (1998/2007). The courage to teach: Exploring the inner landscape of a teacher’s life. San Francisco: Wiley & Sons.


Waldeck, J. H. , Plax, T.G., Kearney, P. (2010). The Sage Handbook of Communication and Instruction. (Chapter 9). Los Angeles: Sage.

6 comments:

  1. Tracy, I enjoyed reading you post. Personally speaking, I am not sure I could bring myself to discuss my personal life with a classroom of students I am teaching. I have always been able to compartmentalize every aspect of my life. When it comes to work, with the exception of acting, my professional life has always been separate from my private life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shain! I had the same thoughts. I rarely share anything about my personal life, and if I were to do this, I would have to seriously think about what personal items I would feel comfortable sharing; although, I can see how this is a fantastic way to show students we are willing to take risks too. With that said, I guess I could come up with a fear or two. - T

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tracy, this was interesting. When I was an undergraduate I was typically very quiet and introverted in class. I don't think I was afraid of speaking up, I just didn't think it was necessary or constructive to do so. That being said, I was definitely more motivated to contribute to conversations in classes where the professor was more personable. The stagnant elements of a classroom definitely killed all motivation, so having an outspoken professor that acted like a real human being definitely got me out my shell. It's likely the reason that I am usually willing to disclose and "be myself" in class. Obviously I tailor my language and vocabulary appropriately, but, in hindsight, I'm surprised by how often I speak candidly with my students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tracy, this is great! I love the idea of starting the class and sharing your fears first as the instructor. I know this may not be everyone's 'thing'; however, I feel like I as well as my students would benefit from this exercise.

    Also, I did an exercise with my students last week asking them to share one thing they enjoy about my class as well as one critique they have about the class. Interesting enough, many (and I mean many) students shared how comfortable they feel sharing / participating in class discussions within my class, yet do not feel that way in any other classes. This is such an honor for me to hear things like this as it is how I strive for my students to feel. However, it is still difficult for me to be vulnerable about certain beliefs / ideas in the classroom as I would never want someone to feel silenced by me sharing my thoughts. So, this is something I am still learning.

    Also, for our 1010 class, we have a CA exercise that we are able to give to every student before they give a speech / performance to see where everyone is on the CA spectrum. I absolutely love doing this. It gives everyone the opportunity to see that we all struggle at some points, but we can all learn and grow in this area by practicing. I have felt like by doing this exercise my students immediately feel a bit more comfortable understanding they are not alone.

    Anyways, thanks for sharing! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your experiences, Nicole and Daniel! In most situations, I share a very limited amount of personal information because I'm more private (at least that's what I'd like to think about myself). But during this semester, I've enjoyed learning about the connection between fear and communication. One article I found explained that we need to identify our fear so that we can address it (http://www.counseling.ufl.edu/cwc/How-to-Handle-Fears.aspx). This new knowledge makes me wonder if we are good judges of our own fear or quietness. For example, I've been less talkative in certain situations, but unless I question my fear at that specific time, how can I adequately judge any level of fear (or even address it)? We can certainly remember how we felt, but unless we are experiencing it at that moment, I think we have opportunities to delude ourselves.

      Anyway, the subject of fear and communication is interesting, and I'm glad we studied how they impact pedagogy. - T

      Delete
    2. Thanks for sharing your experiences, Nicole and Daniel! In most situations, I share a very limited amount of personal information because I'm more private (at least that's what I'd like to think about myself). But during this semester, I've enjoyed learning about the connection between fear and communication. One article I found explained that we need to identify our fear so that we can address it (http://www.counseling.ufl.edu/cwc/How-to-Handle-Fears.aspx). This new knowledge makes me wonder if we are good judges of our own fear or quietness. For example, I've been less talkative in certain situations, but unless I question my fear at that specific time, how can I adequately judge any level of fear (or even address it)? We can certainly remember how we felt, but unless we are experiencing it at that moment, I think we have opportunities to delude ourselves.

      Anyway, the subject of fear and communication is interesting, and I'm glad we studied how they impact pedagogy. - T

      Delete