Saturday, October 31, 2015

Self interviewing inspired by bell hooks

In the spirit of Chapter 4 in Teaching to Transgress, and the spirit of bell hooks herself, I have decided to approach this blog in the form of an interview between my student self (Suzanna) and my teaching self (Ms. Tolboom). The video we watched in class inspired this blog post due to the subject about teaching popular culture in the classroom.

Suzanna: After watching the video in class, what were some of your main takeaways that really stood out to you?

Ms. Tolboom: The main ideas I really appreciated were her thoughts on how she stressed the importance of how popular culture can be an interplay between the students and teacher, how popular culture allows students to relate to the content material, and how mass media uses more representation for impact and effect.

Suzanna: That makes sense. I mean, I have already written a blog about how popular culture helps engage students in the classroom. How have you seen popular culture act as interplay between you and your students?

Ms. Tolboom: It is funny because when I first started teaching, I thought I would not be credible due to my young age; however, I have found that my young age and the popular culture examples I give in class allow me to connect with my students more. I feel more relatable and honestly, it makes me feel like I have inside jokes with them.

Suzanna: That is great! I know I like it when my professors mention something that I know about and can relate to. What did you think when she said that white me can produce any image they want?

Ms. Tolboom: It really made me step back and look at the examples I have given in class. I realize that when I chose certain popular culture examples to present in class, I also need to make sure that the examples do not perpetuate white supremacy, or if they do, I need to make sure I present them in a way that allows for the students to critique the example itself.

Suzanna: What did you think of her statement about how media has control of our imaginations? And how do you see that taking place in the classroom?

Ms. Tolboom: Wow. Yeah I thought that was a very powerful statement. I think I would say it differently. I think media reinforces our thoughts on stereotypes and hinders the freedom that our imagination could have without the constant messages from media. As for how it would affect the classroom, while I think that messages from media can inhibit imagination, I think it also provides opportunity for growth. Recently, I had my students look up popular commercials for examples of a concept we were discussing in class. I showed their commercials in front of the whole class and gave them an opportunity to explain their choices.  For this specific example, I think it allowed the students to think about the concept in a different manner; however, if they had done a role playing scenario instead, they could have possibly imagined and created a different example of the content.

Suzanna: I think as a student, connecting it to popular culture, while slightly more limiting of imagination if compared to role-playing, is still a good way to grasp the material. In my personal experience, it helps me remember ideas better if I have examples I can go back to. Speaking of popular culture examples, what did you think of the examples she gave in her speech?

Ms. Tolboom: Well, some I have never heard of, but the one that sticks out in my mind is her mention of Dark Vader. I had never thought about before about how the symbols of Star Wars relates to the subject matter.

Suzanna: Yeah. We haven't spent as much time on Star Wars that some other students in class would probably have liked us too. Do you have any last comments?

Ms. Tolboom: Just one: I really enjoy bell hook’s approach to teaching as a whole and I am excited to try implementing her techniques and advice in the classroom.




hooks, b. (1994). Teaching to transgress: Education as the practice of freedom. New York: Routledge.


hooks, b. (2006, December 10). Cultural Criticism and Transformation. Lecture.

5 comments:

  1. Suzanna, love the format! First, I, like you, have also found my age to be a source of connection between me and my students as opposed to a reason for them to not respect me. Likewise, using pop culture examples in class helps build up our rapport. However, like you mentioned, when I use pop culture examples, I need to remember to think critically about what representations I'm putting forth, which voices/perspectives I'm potentially silencing, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzanna, Nicely written. I like to conversational style you applied to this posting. It reminds me of British commercials. The audience is privy to the conversation but not necessarily part of it. I also like the use of pop culture. I recently referenced Educating Rita and The History Boys. If it applies, use it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suzanna, this was insightful and likely mirrors conversations that a lot of us would have with our student selves. That being said, you can't lose your mind before your first semester is over. We're here for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suzanna, my dear, love this! I think the most difficult part of utilizing pop culture for me has been using something that is fun and can relate to us (me and the students), yet something I can demonstrate the social issues / dysfunctions happening within the scenario. For example, most pop culture examples are going to privilege a certain perspective over another. So, learning how to critically think through these topics and not silence one group of people over another is something I strive not to do. It makes this somewhat difficult when trying to talk about something so relevant and allowing everyone to be heard on the topic. Anyways, I absolutely love bell hook's viewpoint as well and hope to embody it more as time passes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suzanna, this is genius! This was fun to read and I loved the dialogue about pop culture between your teaching-self and student-self. Some might call it crazy, but I call it crazy-beautiful.
    Excellent job, my dear! :)

    ReplyDelete