Sunday, November 22, 2015

The Not-So-Funny Voice



Story time: During my last semester at a Dallas Community College, I was taking an Economics course to fulfill my last requirement that was needed for my Associates Degree. The economics instructor was an older man, who I personally thought was trying to keep up with the younger generation. He tried to make his class, including the subject of economics enjoyable. However, each class session was utterly painful. The instructor would try to make a joke out of everything. AND I MEAN EVERYTHING! I didn’t want to hear jokes about surpluses or a demand for a certain good; Demands for a certain good is not very funny. Also, I knew the class felt the same way I did about his humorless voice. Sometimes I couldn’t tell whether I was in the Amazon or in my Economics classroom because of the crickets and the cicadas we heard after a “joke” was told.  However one class period took a turn for the worse when our instructor asked why the class was always so quiet and so disengaged. A female student responded, “This subject is just dry.”

The instructor’s responded, “Well then… how can I make it moist?” Then he smirked. He smirked!

Talk about awkward and inappropriate, right?

The take-aways from the Booth-Butterfield and Wanzer (2010) article state that if humor is involved in the classroom 1) the humor must be appropriate, 2) must be connected to the content, and 3) must NOT be forced.

And why is this important?

Because humor can be distracting! Especially if the humor is plain, dull, and inappropriate.

Maybe I should check up to see if my former Economics instructor is still at my old stomping grounds and slip him a copy of Humor and Communication in Instructional ContextsThen maybe he’ll realize the voice or persona he was trying to perform was not so effective and maybe try a different approach to engaging his current or future students.

#letsgetloud
#letsputasmileonthatface
#thethingsilearnincommstudies  <3

D. L. Fassett & J. T. Warren (Eds.) (2010). The Sage Handbook of Communication and Instruction (Chapter 10) Los Angeles: Sage.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that this kind of humor from a professor is the worst! Very distracting indeed. As you mentioned, my best luck with humor in the classroom is when I am able to tie it to class material. Interestingly, it is when my humor arises from the course content that it is the least forced.

    Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this post. I totally agree. I am also now combing through my mind for to make sure all of my classroom jokes were appropriate and tied to the course material. I hope I wasn't as bad as your former professor.

    ReplyDelete