Thursday, November 30, 2017

To my 2020 students

Today was my last day teaching my 2020 recitation class and I can't believe everything is coming to a near end. Although I'm sad that I won't be teaching my 2020 classes, I still have my 1010 class which I'm going to make the most of it. I can't predict how the class is going to end but I hope that all my students took something away from the course and that I was able to make it fun and enjoyable.

So far I've gotten great feedback from my other students as well as some improvements I can do for the future. To be honest, I almost had tears of joy when my students were giving their goodbyes to me. They were telling me their best moments, what they enjoyed most about recitation, and gave me a hug. As they were walking out of the classroom, I had a flashback of my first day when I walked in, all nervous wondering if the were going to take me seriously. Week after week, we were all able to engage and have deep discussions of the content. From laughter, to giving each other advice, to disagreements, and to awkward silences, the classroom dynamic was incredible everyone felt safe and comfortable to disclose about themselves. I've got to learn so much about them during class and in their papers they wrote. I tried my best to be there for them and help as much as I could. I've also got to thank them for the time I wasn't "all there" but they were able to cheer me up.

My students gave me confidence and there wasn't a day that I didn't look forward to teach. One thing I've learned about both of my recitation classes was that you never know what is going to happen, or what is going to come out of their mouth. I hope they finish off the semester great not only in 2020 but in their other classes. For now I'm going to cherish my time in 1010, since our days are numbered. To my 2020 students thank you for letting me be part of your lives even if it was only in the classroom. I wish you all the best!

#WhatAmIDoing #Interpersonal #TeachingAssistant

1 comment:

  1. Aw, Stephanie. I know how you feel. Today was the last day of my classes. I told them they didn't have to come in on Thursday so they could study for their review. Selfishly I wanted to hold class just because I know I'm going to miss them. As you know, I ended my classes with a gingerbread house making "party" as their last activity. In a way, I did this to bring them full circle within their groups. I love that you connected your experiences within the class to your personal learning experience. I can tell that you have grown so much after teaching. I feel the same way. Everyone knows I'm the quiet one of the bunch but as you, I feel like this experience has helped me be more confident. We are always going to remember teaching our first College babies. It's definitely a great experience. I am happy to hear that you got great feedback. Wherever you end up going, I hope you are able to take what you learned from this experience to reach your end goals. You're awesome, good luck with your future endeavors. <3

    ReplyDelete