Tuesday, November 14, 2017

It's Hard to Hold A Candle In The Cold November Rain

WARNING: Venting Post Ahead

Like Kevin, I question whomever titled October as "Hell Month" for us graduate TA's because for me, November takes the cake as the most hectic. With 1010 papers to grade, 2140 debates to create and present, plus my own graduate student responsibilities... I. AM. DROWNING. In all honesty, I hit a point on Thursday of last week where my motivation depleted drastically and immediately. Seriously all of it gone - *poof*. 

 

I feel like my motivation is a candle that I am diligently trying to keep lit in the cold November rain, with the November rain being all my responsibilities. Like the Guns N' Roses song goes: "You're not the only one". I know most of you resonate with my feelings of being overwhelmed and stressed out - so much so, that I feel we have forgotten what my hashtag (#dontpanic) is about. 

Panicking about completing upcoming assignment? About keeping up with grading? About why your students appear brain-dead? About talking through abject scripts? About better infiltrating pop culture into the classroom? I hate to give the answer that always makes people feeling this way upset, but...: #DONTPANIC. Although we all feel like we are sitting in a room on fire... 

Image result for room on fire meme 

...that doesn't have to serve as a disadvantage for us all! We are all in the same boat, and although we cannot expect those around us to "carry" us, we can use one another to work smarter - not harder. Instead of panicking about how to grade that assignment, what pop culture reference to use, or switching up your pedagogical technique, reach out to a co-worker to talk through whatever you're panicking. Instead of exerting all of our energy into panicking, perhaps we should be using it into crafting the most successful experience out students can get. 

As the semester comes to a close, we as pedagogy members need to re-direct our panics and instead try to put that energy into a hopefully beneficial outcome for our students. We should avoid wasting time worrying, panicking, and pondering these worries and instead use that time to better set our students up for success. We have to follow Emily and my's advice - #keeponkeepinon and #dontpanic.

2 comments:

  1. Rudi, this was very insightful! November was definitely hell month for me. Even in my undergrad, November was the most stressful. I really like the message that you're putting through here- turn our negative energy into positive. It is so easy to forget that everything is going to be okay (as silly as that sounds).

    I created sort of a mantra in my undergrad that I use now in my graduate career. It goes along the lines of: "If I can make it through this week, I can make it through anything". I use it at the beginning of a week that I know I will have papers to grade, papers of my own to write, and anything else coming my way. It really helps because when I look back after that stressful week, I'm proud and a little shocked sometimes (ha). Nevertheless, it is important to #keeponkeepinon and have the mentality to #dontpanic and to definitely work smarter, not harder! #pedamorgie #stayinurlain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rudi, I think that this argument is, as Morgan say, it is very informing. I think that November was a very problematic month, insofar as there being a lot of things to do. However, this does not mean that we crowd out our motivation. We can find motivation several different ways within the semester. First, we can go talk to our instructors. If we have a problem, I think that we need to remember that our instructors are humans. Resultantly, they have probably been through similar situations as ourselves.
    Second, we can find motivation by talking amongst one another (i.e. TA's to TA's). A lot of the older TA's have probably been through what we are going through. They probably have ways or solutions to these problems. Talking to people inside and outside of the space is really important because it can generate good solutions.

    ReplyDelete