Saturday, November 25, 2017

Community

My grandmother passed away November 14th at 9 pm. She was 85 years old. She was not in great shape those last few months. She could hardly eat or speak, and she was in a lot of pain. After endless late nights and early mornings visiting her at the hospital, the doctors finally told my family there was nothing more they could do. We brought her home and put her on hospice. The night she died I went to class and then went straight to her house after. My whole family was there. My mom met me at the door, hugged me, and said, "grandma's gone." I had been with the family all day that day up at her house, so I got to say goodbye to her. Both of my grandfathers died last year. My dad's mother is my only remaining grandparent. The added stress of her decline and death has certainly been a strain this semester. I think it was affecting me a little more than I realized (like crying uncontrollably in class because I was frustrated with my students, oops).
Several pedagogical scholars (Dewey, Palmer, Freire, hooks) discuss communities in the classroom. These scholars typically refer to teachers fostering learning communities within the classroom. However, working communities are also important. I am incredibly fortunate to a part of a great community of wonderful people. These past few weeks my professors and colleagues have been so supportive. From statements of support to putting together a care package, all of you have helped me get through this situation. Not just in these past few weeks, but through this entire difficult and stressful process. 

Thank you all for everything,


Jayme

4 comments:

  1. Jayme,

    The love we have for you is uncanny - you are such a wonderful person inside and out and your selflessness radiates. You are such a valuable member to our community. You came out of the gate swinging this semester and have yet to stop... I'm so incredibly proud and thankful to be in a community with THE Jayme Carrico. I'm even more thankful you're one of my best friends. Keep kicking ass in AND OUT of the classroom.

    <3 Rudi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jayme, please excuse the sappiness of what I am about to say. You are absolutely one of the best people I know. Not only are you brilliant, but you are also extremely kind, caring, and genuine. You are the first one to participate in class, you are the first one to help another person, and you are the first to give someone a hug if they need it. Like Rudi said, I feel so lucky to work with you but I feel even luckier to be able to call you a friend!
    When talking about communities, you make a great point! We always hear about the importance of the classroom community. We also spend a lot of time discussing and studying the different communities that exist within our classrooms. But, I agree with you- working communities are just as important! Having a positive, supportive work community makes creating classroom communities much easier.
    Going back to what I said before, if it weren't for you, the working community that we have would not be the same.
    Everyone that knows you should consider themselves blessed! You're an awesome teacher, friend, coworker, performer, student, all of the above. You are an example for everyone around you, so thank YOU for everything.

    #keeponkeepinon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Jaime,

    Thank YOU for all you do! You are the only reason that Palmer's approach to pedagogy made all sense to me. You present yourself whole in the classroom and in the TA space. The way you go out of your way to help us on our Pedagogy assignments although you have 1500 papers to grade is awesome! To the way you take the time out to answer various questions about grading and lesson planning although you have your own personal burdens to handle. Not to mention, all the times I have called you at totally appropriate times of night to bother about how scared, annoyed, or bothered I am about whatever situation I get myself into, you are always there in mind, body, and spirit; whole.

    Crying is the most powerful emotional reaction the human body possess. We cry not just because something is wrong, or because we are mad, or upset, or frustrated, or happy. We cry because we care. Crying is passionate, we must feel it in our minds, bodies, and soul. You care! And that's what co-creates community! You're an inspiration Jayme Carrico and I'm honored to be apart of this community WITH you.

    You never have to face adversity alone, WE are here WITH you. Finish Strong! We CAN do this!
    #Thosewhocan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jayme, first and foremost, I am truly sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine what you're going through but if you need anything, let me know.

    I think sometimes we forget that we are human. We turn into these robots that are on 'go mode' all the time, just trying to make deadlines among other things. I know I fall guilty to this claim. When the world decides to remind us that we are only flesh, it takes some adjusting. That adjusting can come out in the form of tears. I myself truly believe that there is nothing better than a good cry. You as a human being are wonderful!

    The working community that we have created is so extremely important for our success just like classroom communities. I am also fortunate enough to work in a community with you and everyone else!

    I appreciate you Jayme! Your spirit and warmth are nothing short of amazing. Just #stayinurlain and peddle to the metal to the finish line!
    #pedamorgie #stayinurlain

    ReplyDelete