Thursday, November 30, 2017

Put Some Respeck on My Name

I am sporadic, hyper, funny, and caring. These are just a few characteristics of who I am but they are the ones I bring into the classroom. Dannels (2015) argues that teachers should infuse who they are into their teachings. I think I do a thorough job of expressing who I am in my classroom. I joke (appropriately) around with my students, I walk into every classroom with a positive, quirky approach, and I ask my student how they are doing outside of my classroom (because I'm genuinely interested). I am my normal, goofy self in the classroom and I still have the ultimate control over my classroom. For the most part, my students do listen to me and follow my directions but there's always an outlier...

If I am my authentic self in the classroom and I have the ultimate "say-so" in the classroom then why do I always have one student who questions my authority or mocks me? I honestly feel disrespected in my classroom sometimes. Sometimes when I try to be goofy or say something silly, the majority of my classroom laughs but then one student (same one every time) mocks me. He will repeat what I say in a mimicking tone and roll his eyes. At first I didn't think too much of it because I thought that might of been his way of trying to feel included or joking but it continued. The nerve of these kids...

The problem persisted and in turn, I tried to be self-reflexive. Am I doing something to upset this student? Is there something wrong with my personality? What in the world am I doing wrong? My other students did not feed off of his behavior and when he would "strike" they sat in an awkward silence waiting for my response. I ignored it until I just got tired of it.

"Why do you insist on mocking me all the time?" I broke. I had to ask. He was baffled and responded with something along the lines of that he himself did not feel respected. My heart broke. I didn't understand why he felt that way and in fact, I specifically tried to create an environment where my students DID NOT feel that way. Perhaps I joked too much with this particular student. I apologized and told him I never intended for him to feel that way and that I appreciate him telling me what was up. I just wanted to be respected, and he did too.

Dannels (2015) says that "because teaching and learning are human activities, about the only thing you can predict with certainty is unpredictability". The fact that I called out my student was unpredictable and the fact that my student told me he felt disrespected was definitely unpredictable. It was an important lesson for both of us. As teachers, we should all embrace unpredictability as certainty and listen (not just hear) our students.

I just hope next time my student says my name...he puts some Respeck on it. Don't worry, I will for him too.
#pedamorgy #stayinurlain

Image result for put some respeck on my name

2 comments:

  1. Moooooooorgan!

    Girl be yourself! I love how you used Dannels advice into your situation. I well agree with the Dannels quote of predicting with certainty of unpredictability because I see happening all the time I walk in to teach. However, I am wondering if you had that conversation with your student in class or after class. For the reason, of not wanting to single out or make your student uncomfortable which can add fire to the flame. I know something similar happen to me with one of my students, although it was different. I said a comment that made one of my students uncomfortable, but approach me after class to have a discussion about it. Ever since then, I made sure I was careful with what I say and was on good terms with my student. Moreover, I am glad you were able to clear things up with your student and were able to continue being authentic self in your classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MORGAN! I love this Dannels concept that you talked about letting your identity shine through in the classroom. Identity is a huge part of teaching and if we want our students to be open about themselves, we have to do the same. Having watched you teach a few times, I can definitely vouch when you say that you are your authentic self in the classroom. I really admire you for that because since you have been so open, you have created a comfortable dynamic within the classroom where everyone seems to respect you and be open with each other. We will always have those unpredictable moments that catch us off guard, but we just need to take each one as a learning experience! I had one of these moments the other day when a student walked out of class during presentations, but I just had to keep my focus on the class and not dwell on that negativity.
    You are an inspiration and I know how much your students like you! #KeepOnKeepinOn!

    ReplyDelete