Tuesday, November 7, 2017

If You're Going Through Hell, Keep Going

During high school, I went through the most difficult time in my life. From my sophomore year, up until my graduation, I seriously hated everything and everyone. I was always grateful for my friends being there for me during this time, but what really sticks out to me are the relationships I formed with some of my teachers. I really valued these relationships because these teachers didn’t have to do what they did for me. They continuously went out of their way to make sure I was doing okay and offer their guidance. Had it not been for these relationships, I'm not sure I would have been able to make it through as productively.

via GIPHY

In the classroom, there are two different roles being played. There is one teacher, and many students. Of course, the people playing these roles also play others, but they aren’t necessarily present in the classroom. Teachers don’t need to know their students in other roles that they play, simply because it's not in their job description. However, the ones that beg to differ are the ones that really make a difference.

One of the reasons in which I was most excited to teach was because I wanted to be able to offer that same type of guidance to others that I had received in the past. People are always going through something, and sometimes they just need someone to listen to them. I think that if students want to be able to be open with their teachers, they should. I have had a few of my students confide in my about very personal situations, and I am grateful that they trust me enough to do so. It helps me understand them in their roles outside of being student, which makes me feel like I am doing my job.

Parker Palmer says that a good teacher is authentic and lets their identity come through in the classroom. That's exactly what I'm trying to do. I want to be that teacher that my kids can open up to, not just throw a bunch of excuses and short answers at. I’ve learned that students going through rough patches will bounce back stronger if they are open with their teachers, and they receive openness in return. I am glad I had the guidance I did in high school and that I was able to keep going. I am especially glad that I now can and do the same for my students should they find themselves in similar situations so that they too can keep going.

#keeponkeepinon

2 comments:

  1. Emily, just being around you is refreshing and comfortable. You're so approachable and full of life! I know for a fact that your students love you.

    Similar to you, I had several teachers who I connected with. They made me want to be a better person inside the classroom and out. I made it a point to do well in there classes because I was afraid of disappointing them which made me a stronger student. I can only hope that my students have that kind of connection with me.

    I think it is really special that you try to understand the role of your students outside of your class. Our students go through so much that we're not even aware of. That is what makes you unique as an instructor. I've sat through enough of your classes to know that you are your authentic self and that is why your students feel comfortable in confiding with you.

    I hope that I'm as cool as you are in the classroom.

    Much love,

    #pedamorgie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, I found this really hitting home! I think that when we go through hell, we should never give up. I think that your personal narrative regarding high school is a good way to go about this process. For instance, when we think about hell, we need to remember that there is an end point. The only way that we can get to this end road is if we struggle through.
    IN the context of graduate school, let me offer some ways that we can power through this 'hell' spaces that we encounter. First, we can make sure that we are physically active. This is important because it will release endorphins that will help our mood. Second, we can also make sure that we eat healthily. For instance, if we do not eat healthily, then we will probably feel like shit. Resultantly, this will make the problem worse.

    ReplyDelete