Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Your Stress Is Stressing Me Out

I can honestly say that I was not stressed out entering my first week of graduate school. Sure, I was nervous about teaching for the first time, but I was excited to start something new. I was also excited to start taking classes again and to get back into a routine rather than sleep until 3:00pm everyday which is basically what my summer consisted of. I would say for the most part I'm a pretty easy-going person, which has been helpful to me in taking on the dual role of teacher & student thus far.

Enter the stress that consumes approximately 90 students about a subject they know little about, in an environment they are new to, and surrounded by people they don't know. In the first two weeks of teaching, I probably fielded about 6,452 (give or take 6,400 or so) emails about things that I thought were pretty simple. What do you mean you're already confused? Now I’m confused. Being the person that all of these students looked to for help suddenly left me feeling like I hadn't done my job well enough. That is something that stresses me out. Am I the one causing the stress these kids are feeling?

I made sure to tell myself that it's still early in the semester. Students are stressed for a variety of reasons, ones that go way beyond the classroom. My advice to them? Just relax. Keep going. It's too early to feel like you're drowning in work and that your grade is a lost cause. Just keep doing what you're doing to the best of your ability and you will be just fine. My advice to myself? Just relax. Keep going. You can't take the stress of 90 people and make it your own stress. Instead, use their questions, comments, and concerns to make your classroom a better place.

Keep going. Keep doing what you're doing.

#keeponkeepinon

via GIPHY

3 comments:

  1. I feel kind of the opposite from this. My students rarely email me and the ones that do are the really good ones. It makes me question if they really don't have questions or if thy just don't care. It's making me stress a little. I guess it will all come down to when I see their exam grades. Fingers crossed that they are actually on a good track as they seem. I am sure that we were about things that seem like a huge deal but really aren't. As you said, we need to just relax and keep going. We are all in this together & we got this! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily and Mari, I agree with both of you.
    I care a lot about my students and their success, but last semester I gave more than my students were willing to give back (and I took it personally). It can be anxiety inducing for both of your insight because 1) you may feel like you didn't do the job well enough or 2) no one has any questions - which is fairly unheard of.

    I just want to advise you both: #dontpanic, these anxieties are normal. All students are different and learn differently, meaning no two classes will be the same. Some classes (and students) will ask more questions than others, but it doesn't mean the people that don't ask questions don't care. Student self-esteem and motivation are large predictors in how students retain information and work, so some students may learn from simply being given instructions.

    Ultimately, you two are both great instructors and you're kicking butt this semester. As Emily says, #keeponkeepinon

    ReplyDelete