Friday, September 29, 2017

Bad Grade ≠ Bad Student

"Students are more receptive to feedback if they are reminded that their work, not their identity, is the evaluative focus" (Cohen, Schapire, & Singer, 1999. Dannels 2015).

Well ain't that the truth.

via GIPHY

Students need to know that the purpose of a grade is to evaluate their work, and not who they are. Even the best students have bad days, but that doesn't constitute a bad student. At the same time, people who typically don't perform well can have their moments of brightness as well. Students are more likely to respond positively to feedback and correct their mistakes if they know that it's strictly their work that is being evaluated. If students feel like it is their identity that is being evaluated, that's when you would see negative behavior and performance patterns start to form.

I can't help but think of the self-fulfilling prophecy concept while analyzing this quote. This is because I think a lot of students do think that their grade is a direct reflection of who they are because they classify themselves as either a good student or a bad student. For example, say a girl goes all the way through grade school constantly making good grades and being praised for her academic abilities. In her head, she sees herself as a good student because that's what people tell her, and her grades can back that up. Then, this same girl gets to college and she finds herself in a class that covers content that is completely new to her and she receives a 'D' on her first paper. In her mind, her initial thought would most likely be something along the lines of, "I'm such a good student, how did this happen?" So does this bad paper mean that she is now a bad student? Does this completely discredit all the hard work she has done to get to where she is now? In her mind, yes, that's exactly what it means. That is why it is so crucial that teachers play their part in ensuring that students know that it's their work that is being evaluated and not who they are.

I think that being in a teaching position offers a unique opportunity to change someone's attitude about themselves. I have many students who see themselves as good students and constantly perform well. However, I have had some of these same students come to me visibly upset about the grades they are receiving online. From my perspective, here's what they need to know. Is tanking a 15 point quiz the end of the world? It sure isn't. Does it suck? Of course it does, but it's one grade and it is not a reflection of who they are as a person. Spend a little extra time on the next quiz, and bounce back. Everyone makes mistakes and everyone can correct them if they are given proper, constructive feedback that ensures them that who they are is great and that they possess the ability to do great things.

One more time, a bad grade doesn't reflect a bad person. You know what to do!

#keeponkeepinon

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily,

    First of all you are a total angel and no student could ever deserve how much you care about them. I completely relate to this post for 2 reasons. First I have currently have a student like this right now. She absolutely bases her self-worth on her grades. She comes to me after grades are posted and asks what she could have done differently. I make it my mission to give her good feedback so she has tools to improve. Many of my other students do not come to me until after they have gotten a zero and ask if there is anything they can do to boost their grade (other than actually do their work of course).
    I also relate because I was this student. I was very grade oriented all throughout my high school and undergraduate career. I felt if I did not make an A, I had failed as a person. I gradually learned to be more focused on learning and to accept grades as constructive feedback rather than measures of my self-worth. I made my first B ever last semester in a grad class. And I was fine. I walked away feeling satisfied with my learning (and also that I had survived my first semester)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily, I think you're on to something here. You are 100% right. I remember being in my undergrad and thinking that if I make a bad grade, I too had failed as a teacher. I can tell you that you are already are such a great teacher and the fact that you recognize this concept already means that you are the world's greatest teacher!

    ReplyDelete