Saturday, September 30, 2017

Humor Me

In order to prepare for impromptu speeches next week, I asked my students to describe a professor who did a very poor job public speaking. Most of the students had horror stories about Ferris Bueller-esk monotone, uninspired, lackluster instructors. Although none were as bad as Karen’s horror story of sitting at the front and reading the textbook the whole time. I then asked my students to think of a professor they really liked. What did he or she do to capture their attention? Almost every single student said "he was funny", or "she made me laugh." Based on their comments, my students were even willing to overlook major teacher transgressions if the teacher was humorous. Both Dannels and Plax and Kearney mention humor as an essential element of student engagement. Right now, I am working on understanding what this means for me as a teacher.
I usually attempt to insert funny pictures and dank memes into my PowerPoint slides. This seems to be working out pretty well. I don’t have as much trouble incorporating humor into my second class. They actually tend to appreciate it and feel comfortable enough to laugh and engage with me. My first class is a little more difficult. Two students in particular tend to be very disruptive and give me negative nonverbals (like eye-rolling or scoffing) when I try to be funny. I  personally think humor is also a form of with-it-ness. An instructor needs to identify and pay attention to what kind of humor engages a class, and what kinds of humor detract from learning. I need to find out what kind of humor my first class responds best to. I also need to consider I may not be able to engage them, and they just need to deal with my dorky sense of humor.



#reengage #freshsparklingappropriatehumor #don'tpanic

No comments:

Post a Comment