Saturday, September 30, 2017

Hell Month is upon us (SpOoKy)

Oh me oh my, the Texas weather as we approach the beginning of October makes wanting to stay inside and remain focused feel impossible.

Image result for hello october

There is so much to love about October - the pumpkins, weather, candle scents, festivities... This October I'm a bit spooked, and not by something Halloween related. Instead, I'm anxious for my first fall season in graduate school.

As I mentioned in my first post, October is considered the "Hell Month" of the graduate semester. The true chaos of the month doesn't hit until towards the end, but my schedule places most of my outside-of-grad-school-and-TAing-life events at the same time. In preparation for these things, I've been working really hard to get ahead of the game both in preparing weeks in advance for my classes I teach and reading for the classes I take. Despite how hard I'm trying to get ahead, I feel like I'm falling behind.

As I've been working on my lesson plans in advance, something I struggled with last semester has been more apparent for me lately. For me, one of the most difficult aspects of teaching is infiltrating various teaching methods, such as activities, peer teach, discussion, etc., in a diverse way. Dannels and Dewey encourage defying the stereotypical classroom climate of the teacher lecturing and the student regurgitating information because students are more likely to engage and learn more. I 100% agree with the research behind that statement, but often leading critical thinking exercises make me anxious because I worry about my students having questions I won't be able to answer.

As I reflect on my teaching during my first semester, I realized I focused way to heavily on me giving lectures and my own examples, when I really should have been giving my students more independent freedom with deciphering materials and making personal examples to share with the class. My anxiety of seeming unqualified took precedence over my students' potential engagement. That is why this semester, I am making a point to incorporate activities and critical thinking exercises that go outside of my comfort zone. It's about so much more than just my comfort as an instructor - it's about trying my best to set my students up for success, and that includes offering them an environment that caters to how they best engage and being prepared myself to answer questions the best I can, and following Dannels advice of being authentic to withhold credibility when I'm unsure or don't know an answer. 

So far there has been a massive improvement in my students engagement this semester as opposed to last. I plan to #keeponkeepinon working my hardest for my students' success and to give them an opportunity to flourish.

#dontpanic #reengage

1 comment:

  1. Rudi,

    I am glad that you are not lecturing too heavily anymore. Doesn't it feel good?! Hell Month is upon us but we must not freak out before the freak out! Freaking out before we're given anything to freak about gives us more stress, headaches, and at least for me, grey hair. I have found breathing exercises, treatyourself days, and physical activities to be extremely helpful. Sometimes it is better to just take one day at a time. I love what you are doing this semester with your students and I find that when students and when students are at their best, so are their teachers. Sometimes allow your activities be simple and fun for you and students(but mostly for you), so that your classroom may serve as a space for stress relief. You're doing good! Keep it up! Most importantly #keeponkeepinon

    ReplyDelete