Tuesday, November 24, 2020

how will 2020 punish students further?... let me count the ways.

 Y'all...

I'm a little late to the game here... but I'm sure that's no surprise to anyone. For me personally, and for many others I've talked to, 2020 has been an exceptionally terrible year. As a student, finding ways to juggle all of the punishments that this year has brought my way has been a nearly impossible task. The possibility of my entire future disappearing just like that. A series of unfortunate events. The pressure. So, I figured I'd start off by rambling about all the things I feel, and all the things you may feel, in an act of solidarity. Although, I know I'm simply shouting into the void.

You're not wrong for struggling with online classes. 

Many of the classes that have transitioned from strictly in-person to strictly online have failed to take into account, as Akyol and Garrison (2008) expressed, that an online class must be constructed in an entirely different way. It is more difficult for us to effectively engage with professors and our peers, and the work it takes to make up for this should replace some of the busy work usually handed out as classroom activities. As a student who used to struggle paying attention and participating in grade school, I had to learn how to adapt in order to get what I needed out of my classes. So, I found that what worked best for me was studying and doing assignments in the library, even though I had a perfectly good desktop at home. I would also stay after class and talk to professors, collaborate with peers in person, and I worked best when I hand wrote as much as possible. Attending class and being forced to keep my focus on the lecture was also crucial. If I didn't have perfect attendance, my grades would slip or I would spiral... weeks would go by. A professor once even called me their "ghost student." Now, the challenge for students, the same as professors, is "what do we do for learners who cannot learn online?" and I'm not sure there is an answer. Perhaps a more lenient late work policy... perhaps the ability to make up work... but what about students whose home life is distracting? maybe even dangerous? What about students that live in rural counties? Students who lost their jobs? Students with COVID? Students experiencing loss due to COVID? Students with ADHD? Students with mental health issues made worse by sitting at home all day? Neurodiverse students? How does a professor really know who's struggling, when the professors themselves are struggling, and all the students are just names on a roll sheet on a computer screen? How do we know anything?


The traditional pedagogical approach isn't working and it shows.


This tweet really stuck with me. Of course, it is a hot take, but I thought I'd share.

https://twitter.com/hoodqueer/status/1330656596922347524?s=20


Surprise, surprise, everyone. In an effort to make the most out of my situation, I will be breaking the rules and double posting. However, to give myself the much needed breathing room between blogs, I will be plopping one in once a day. Sorry, Karen!


#yourenotwrong

No comments:

Post a Comment