Wednesday, November 21, 2018

When pop culture pops into the classroom

Hi guys!

Pop culture has always been something that has informed me throughout my life. I remember being obsessed with pop culture related news in middle and elementary school, waiting to come home from volleyball practice to sit on the couch and watch E! News. I learned things relevant in pop culture, and who was relevant in pop culture through those after practice T.V. binges. Although lots of this felt like mindless T.V. watching (and I'll be the first to admit that most of it was) I also became informed on things I wouldn't have if I didn't know what was going on in pop culture.



This knowledge of pop culture allowed me to understand references from people spanning from all age groups, integrate my own examples from things that I had heard about, and just left me feeling more informed, even if pop culture knowledge is sometimes seen as merely entertaining. Although I disagree with this statement.

In Benson's chapter focused on pop culture and pedagogy, I remembered these experiences and immediately realized how much they did benefit me educationally. Through the conversations I engaged with from this knowledge, I was able to gain more information that may had not been accessible to me if I initially didn't understand what they were talking about.


As far as this relates to my pedagogy, I believe pop culture examples and inclusions are extremely important to a classroom. In my COMM 1010 class, I have used countless examples from pop culture, whether that be an "The Office" clip or Africa by Toto, the students immediately become more engaged when they see something they can relate the material to. If the students are working from a starting point that they can find connections to the material with, they seem to feel more confident to speak up. The discussions in the classroom always seem to flow and guarantee more participation from my students if it's something that they know. Not only does it encourage classroom participation, but even outside of the classroom doors. Like Benson said, shows and movies are discussed at countless different places with coworkers, friends, and family. If you relate your classroom content to something that your students may find themselves talking about in a non academic sense, they may think about their classroom content during that time as well. MAYBE even bringing it up in their outside conversations if you're lucky :) It allows the students to engage in and out of the classroom even more, and in turn allows the material to be integrated in multiple facets of their lives, allowing for a possible deeper learning.



Benson's chapter reminded me of how much pop culture previously and continues to benefit me as a student, and now in the role of an educator. I plan to integrate pop culture within my classes for my entire span as an instructor, because I've seen the benefits on both ends. My #lightningboldt of the month was to be reminded that using pop culture in your education is beneficial, and not merely there just for entertaining purposes alone.

4 comments:

  1. First, that Will Ferrell meme is so hot right now (see what I did there). When I was in my undergrad, I was enrolled in some courses where the content was difficult to grasp, such as statistics or some concepts in psychology. A lot of my instructors and professors simply relied on the use of powerpoints to elaborate on the material which made retention of the content very difficult. If the instructors utilized popular culture, especially The Office for example, some unclear concepts may have become more relatable and understandable as a result. Until I became an instructor did I realize the full potential of using popular culture within the classroom, not just for entertainment but for educational purposes as well. When you talked about students mentioning examples outside of the classroom, really stresses the significance of popular culture within the learning process. I have had some students bring up examples and video clips I have used in the past to explain concepts because they retain the information more adequately. I do not think I have ever heard a student say, "Wow, those animations you used in the powerpoint made the information so much clearer!" Popular culture belongs in the classroom, to blend both entertainment and education for the outcome of learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. TOY STORY 4 THOUGHHHHHHH!!! Im so excited about all these childhood remakes, man, its great. I totally agree with you Emily, pop culture is definitely apart of my pedagogy, and I don't think it'll ever change. Especially at the collegiate level, I feel like its even more relevant. For a lot of students they are used to this banking model of education and going into a classroom with tons of pop culture, like 1010 is shocking for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimmy, my excitement for Toy Story 4 cannot be contained. I agree with you saying students are shocked when coming into 1010, the expectation for them to say their opinion, even as it relates to pop culture examples, even throws them for a loop sometimes when they're used to solely taking notes and being quiet in classrooms.

      Delete
  3. I agree 100% about pop culture being so beneficial in the classroom. I think that it would be much harder for some of us to reach all of the students without pop culture examples. For me, I thrive being able to connect course concepts to real examples that I'm already familiar with, which is pop culture for me. Also, you're so right about getting the students to speak up! Chances are good that your students feel comfortable with pop culture compared to the actual course concept itself, and if they have an easier time making the connection, they're likely to speak up and share, which helps others catch on!

    ReplyDelete