Monday, November 26, 2018

The Confessional Narratives: A Critical Intervention


Until I came to UNT, I was the product of a semi-rural, traditional, conservative Texas education.  I learned and knew my role exceptionally well:  good attendance and grades (except when I rebelled), speaking when called upon in church and school (for the most part), and minding my manners (usually).  Comply now, complain later.  Docile.  Colonized.

I went to UNT for my undergraduate—100% online.  UNT’s Bachelor of Applied Arts and Sciences was a good option for me after working in government and big show business.  Theory and the social sciences set me free.  This is my first semester on a college campus since 2009, but I’d been to Denton before.  In my past life as a Jehovah’s Witness, I helped build that big Assembly Hall out on 380, west of Denton (14542 US-380, Krum, TX 76249).  I knew “Little D” was like Waco (where I grew up), but with jazz.  Long before Magnolia.



I feel like a refugee in college.  I’m here to get my future right; to open doors that would have otherwise been barred by educational requirements at future jobs I already want.  Education is my “way up”.

On arriving to campus, I immediately noticed the jarring contrast of the effects of UNT’s liberal education, and the protracted effects of traditional, conservative education.  I consistently observe that materially privileged students from non-liberal collegiate backgrounds can be dangerously oblivious to their colonialist tendencies.  They stand around inspecting, as if surveying a future colony; getting my attention and delaying the question; loudly asking too-personal questions and not listening to the answer.  All while withholding eye contact.  The strangest, disturbingly fucking bizarre interpersonal communication of my entire life.

I will, however, proffer that UNT’s neo-imperialists may be too naïve and inexperienced to understand that their behaviors oppress others.  They may not perceive themselves as behaving unethically due to their tremendous lack of self-awareness.  Their lived experiences may not have taught them any degree of social finesse.  Perhaps they’ve never been challenged in their narrow world view, and simply cannot understand that communicative humility will serve them much better than petulant entitlement. 

I am the redeeming voice that was stolen from my enslaved and converted ancestors, yet I silence myself in classroom settings where I believe my ideas will be appropriated—real talk: stolen!  This is not imaginary.  It has already happened to me this semester!

What would bell hooks say?  I believe she would encourage me to name my pain and tell me to stop being complicit in my own domination.  She offers me deep comfort in Teaching to Transgress:

“Fear and anger about appropriation…have led black [and brown] women to withdraw from feminist settings where we must have extensive contact with white women.  Withdrawal exacerbates the problem: it makes us complicit in a different way (p 105).  Painfully clear biases...distort education so that it is no longer about the practice of freedom (p. 29).  Though the call for sisterhood [is] often motivated by sincere longing to transform the present…there [is] no attempt to acknowledge history, or the barriers that might make such bonding difficult, if not impossible” (p. 102).

Belonging is a verb.  Belonging begins with extending basic courtesies and continues through reciprocity.  Become humbly aware of how your words and actions affect the marginalized other.

Please do not minimize experiences you haven’t lived.

4 comments:

  1. Ruth - it's been so enlightening to listen to your stories and experiences this semester. You've become a true friend to me and mine, and I value you so deeply. I especially think that your last line of this post is so fucking important. I think the idea of us all being storytellers is so neat, because everyone has something so unique and special to contribute to the world and so many people are unwilling to listen. How can we learn from our mistakes if we do not listen to the pain of others who have suffered at our hands? As a white person, I am trying to be good at recognizing when I need to shut up and listen to something because I have no experience or valuable stories to add to a discussion. You help me find footing in my positionality and privilege as a white person everyday, and I am so appreciative. Keep fighting the colonizers, and I will stand with you and do what I can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ruthy! I've said it once and I'll say it again, you AMAZE me! I love hearing about where you've been and grew up and where I know you'll flourish in the future! I think belonging is something specifically pertinent in grad school, especially when it comes to participating in group conversations in our small classes. I think it's vital to not speak in a definitive way on experiences you know nothing about, like you said. I, like Kassie said, need to be aware when a subject is not mine to speak on. Your voice has been so invaluable in the classes I have with you, you offer such a unique viewpoint on the content, and I always feel like I'm gaining a unique perspective through listening to your comments in the discussion :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ruth! I'm actually been curious for your opinion on something, and after reading this post I feel reassured that you are the right person to ask. If you don't see this here, I'll pester you over facebook or something. ;)
    I'm trying to create an activity for the final content week of 1010 next week that will give my students some enlightenment about the nature of privilege, language, and power, but I want to do it in a way that will benefit everyone. I've seen some opinions recently that privilege walks have the downside of utilizing the experiences of oppressed people to attempt to open the eyes of the privileged. However, they don't really provide as much for the people who have lived all these things and are standing at the back of the line. (Not to bash on anyone using the privilege walk; I certainly acknowledge it still has value, I'm just trying to find something a little more.)
    I have a lot of minority students in my class, and I what I want to avoid with the privilege walk is a whole bunch of people who've only taken a couple steps thinking, "Yeah, we know this. Why are we standing here so the rest of you can figure this out?" And maybe I'm overthinking this, but I want an activity that doesn't feel like it impersonally utilizes the experiences of the underprivileged - moreso, I want an activity that will actually be engaging and helpful to both those students in my class who need to reflexively acknowledge their own positions of privilege as well as those who are painfully aware of their lack of privilege in certain areas.
    I know this isn't a typical blog-post response, but the ideas and opinions you mentioned in this post inspired me to try to think about this problem, so I hope it's appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Garret, I appreciate your sensitivity to the possible outcomes of the privilege walk. I don’t believe you are overthinking at all; rather, thank you for asking this question!

    Due to the possible emotionally reactive outcomes of the Privilege Walk prompts, I do think that if you frame the exercise with enough disclaimers and psychologically preparatory introductions, the student learning outcomes may be more reflexive than emotional. I would start by telling the students they don’t have to walk if they don’t feel comfortable disclosing any particular information to the class. I would encourage the students to perceive this exercise as a way for us all to appreciate and learn about each other’s cultures, our similarities as humans, and our differences as individuals.

    In the or 2020 Interpersonal Communication (Recitation), we did the Walk the Line activity during the unit on Culture and Gender in mid-October (Week 8); so, way earlier than week 15 as we are doing in 1010.

    Walk the Line is similar to the Privilege Walk, but I think the outcome is less linearly divisive and more group-unifying. The questions are worded in a way that seem to elicit transparent, honest answers/reactions, which in turn lead to bonding experiences based on disclosure. I walked with them on the prompts that applied to me.

    Another unexpected phenomenon during the Walk the Line exercise is that, aside from me calling out the prompts, it happened in silence. Each time we walked the line, I’d pause long enough to verbally encourage everyone to look beside them and across from them. This three-seconds of reflexivity resulted in unifying experiences, and apparent appreciation of the “other”. Based on recent solicited feedback on the course, I learned that multiple students perceived the Walk the Line activity positively, as something that “brought our class together”. It was a profound and surprisingly emotional experience for me. My students rocked this activity.

    I do have a social observation to add: the student in COMM 2020 are “only” a year older than our 1010 students, but that year is key in the level of social maturity they develop under the liberal education at UNT.

    ReplyDelete