Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Closing Time

Well, folks! It's the end of the semester! We're two-point-five weeks out from our last day of our first semester (Sarah, Garrett, and Shannon's first YEAR), and I've learned so much!


While I don't think I've completely figured out my pedagogy just yet, I've got a pretty good basis. I've been practicing the things I resonate with in our readings. For example!!

I am so swamped with homework and papers to write and articles to read and I feel like I have no time for anything! But I also have so much to grade. I prided myself at the beginning of the semester for keeping a good turnaround time on grades - even though I've got 50 students in 2140 delivering speeches for me to watch and grade, as well as 10 students in 3010 submitting poorly edited 10 page papers every two-ish weeks. But I was managing!! Until No-Time November hit, and then I felt like an 18-wheeler slammed into me.


#TaleFromTheHall time! I told my students it would take me some time to get through all 50 of their 5-7 minute speeches, as I've gotten a little behind and have my own things to do to ensure I can continue to attend grad school. TRANSPARENCY and VULNERABILITY. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't - but it does help ease some of the pressure. I had most of my students tell me not to sweat it and that they could wait for those grades (I think they were worried about them), and then I have some students who think I can't hear them say that they wish I would just hurry up and grade already.


But for the most part, the students have been very understanding and appreciative of my honesty and transparency with them, which is nice. I've also been taking care to really prop up and support the few of my students who haven't felt the need to tell me that they're "just here for the grade", by telling these students how smart they are and encouraging them to keep working and producing great work. I've even recommended a few to look into grad school to keep their spark ignited.

I'm so excited watching these brilliant students learn and find passion in what we're teaching them. I remember those feelings vividly and I want to support others who feel them too. I think this is one of the most important things we can do as teachers. Keep encouraging those students who want to be here, and try to reach those who think they don't want to be here. Help them find their passion. Be the friendly face. I had professors who did this for me, and now I can do this for others and #SoCanYou.

Laters, baby
Kassie


3 comments:

  1. I love that you said you were open about being behind on grading for your students. I feel myself becoming SUPER overwhelmed sometimes, but being worried that my students may think less of me if I let them know I'm struggling to grade all of their stuff, along with keeping up with my own studies. It's a fine line that I've been trying to figure out how to balance prioritizing my own studies, and also being able to keep on top of grading. Through this semester, I have found myself putting my teaching ahead of my own schooling, because I don't want to let my students down, and I think that has hindered me in being able to reach my full potential in MY own work. I hope that in the upcoming semesters to be able to find more of a balance, and realize that my studies are just as important as theirs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaaghgh! I FEEL YOUR PAIN, my friend!!!

    I started out the semester relaying to my students what Suz told me: I am a student first and a teacher second. I told them, I’m working my way through college and teaching is my job—and just that. I give my students a very clear expectation from the get-go, and I tell them they won’t see grades on an assignment as soon as I hand out the assignment.

    I love that you support, cheer on, and root for your peeps and I cannot imagine being put into a classroom to teach without having Pedagogy first. I think its fucking awesome that you practice the concepts that make sense for you to fold into your developing pedagogy. In defining my own pedagogy, I echo your words: TRANSPARENCY and VULNERABILITY—both ease the unexpressed tensions and anxieties of our students.

    While I have been hit by a Hummer in actual life, this part of the semester feels more like intravenous pain medication. It hits you, and it feels so warm, then hot…kind of feels like you pissed yourself. But you haven’t; you’re dry. It’s just SO close. Claustrophobic. The work sucks the oxygen out of the air. Seeing, hearing, feeling--technically EXISTING; but through a gossamer veil of medicated detachment. And surviving it.

    Fresh squads in a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the spirit of authenticity, I also let my students know that it may take me a bit to grade their 400+ pages of papers. I don't think they were quite as understanding as your students, but they're always pretty quiet, so it's a little hard to get into their heads. I love your end message of encouragement! I've concluded that encouragement needs to be a core pillar of my pedagogy. This semester has been a great practice in encouraging students as well as a study of the importance of encouragement. My best moments this semester have been from students who were worried about a project and told me my emails helped them get through it.

    ReplyDelete