Monday, October 8, 2018

Who knew being a teacher was so hard?

I mean, I did. Mostly. Though I hadn't considered how much time and effort goes into syllabus making!

I thought I would just figure out my readings and place them whenever, but you literally have to sit and plan out each week's lesson and coordinate readings based on that lesson. How do you choose which readings you're going to use and which ones just don't make the cut? I think logically I knew syllabus making would take time but at the same time, every professor does it so how hard could it be?


I think I understand now why professors take the first day to really go over the syllabus, because that's probably the only time during the whole semester that most students will even look at it. So much work for no one to appreciate!! Obviously there are other reasons to go over the syllabus but that's not the point here. The point is that so many professors, especially in our department, work hard to create a perfect template for the semester and students never even think about it. 

I chose to create a syllabus over a class that already has a bomb-ass syllabus, and it was not easy to come up with activities and projects that were as good as the ones for the actual class. I was happy with what I came up with for the most part, but I was also so worried that I wasn't going to bridge the lessons and the projects as well as I could have. I even went to the professor to see if she liked the ideas I had, but not even her support quelled me. I loved the class when I took it, and I wanted to create a syllabus that would make students love the class like I did. I think that's my problem in a lot of ways. I crave appreciated and affirmation that I'm doing well, and I don't want that to permeate my teaching style. 


I think I'm learning to rely on myself to continue providing the affirmation I need to keep going. I can't worry about whether or not my students like me or my teaching, I can only care about if they're learning at all. This is something I am working on and will continue to work on! I know that I can learn to just be confident with myself and my pedagogical skills. If I can do it, #socanyou.  



1 comment:

  1. Kassie,
    When I read your blog post, I hear your heart. I hear your heart for the subject, for teaching, and for your students. First let me say, they are lucky to have you.
    When you were writing about the syllabus activity, I literally feeeeeeeelt you. Because sister, #metoo. When I sat down to create my syllabus, I swear I had to rewrite the schedule five times. I would create the reading list and get it perfect, and then forget to skip a week for thanksgiving, or spring break, etc. So back to the drawing board I went. When I would look at the “finished” piece I had, I wouldn’t be sure if I spent too much or too little time on each topic, and that stressed. me. out. So #ifeelyou

    As far as your pedagogical style and trusting yourself in the classroom, I hope Palmer’s readings gave you some warm fuzzies on the inside and allowed you to breath a little bit.

    The quote that immediately popped into my head while reading this was that Palmer said that he was “Fearful that I am not just a bad teacher but a bad person, so closely my sense of self tied to the work I do.” P 37 Like I said before, I hear your heart in this post, and I know your students feel and hear your heart in the classroom. But remember, no matter your title or your credibility, YOU “possess the power to create conditions that can help students learn.” (Palmer, 7) Think of your students like Kindergarteners. [They] “Don’t care about your title, but they can quickly make sense whether you are real, and respond accordingly.” As long as you stay true to your badass self, your students will learn. You’ve got this!

    ReplyDelete