Thursday, October 18, 2018

Fear the Walking Dead...


I remember growing up how my parents would discipline me… not that I was a bad child but sometimes bad things happened, its life. I remember how my parents would sit me down and explain why the things I did were wrong but other times I remember they would tell me…

Image result for because i said so

To me this is a TOTAL cop out and the reasons were not good enough to tell me, (young Shannon) no. However, it could have been deeper than that; some things are not to be told/explained to young children because of the complexity of the situation.

You’re probably wondering where I am going with this… I wondered the same thing when I was being told “BECAUSE I SAID SO” were they going with this? Why were they saying that? Why couldn’t they explain themselves?!

I feel that Parker Palmer had a good answer, “we fear encounters in which the other is free to be itself, to speak its own truth, to tell us what we may not wish to hear.” (38) My parents could have been afraid of what would come next in the conversation; another explanation to give that would most likely follow another question. This fear that my parents had, is something that I now have.

I fear that I will be wrong.

I fear that someone will think I am not smart enough, which will lead to the loss of my credibility. 



Image result for fear the walking dead


 Palmer furthers his point by saying “we want [those] encounters on our own terms, so that we can control their outcomes, so that they will not threaten our view of world and self” (38). In reality, fear is “normal” and natural, to me fear shows that you care in a sense because you want to do your best. The fear of diversifying answers to problems helps to expands our viewpoints by incorporating different viewpoints.

I have always had this fear that the material that we are processing in class will not be understood by the students. Palmer mentions the “Zombie Student” and how we should not fear them but embrace them, which if any of you have seen a “The Walking Dead” zombies are DEFINITELY something to fear. The only difference is that the student that we assume is “brain dead” is just looking for motivation, continue teaching how I teach, and doing what I do.
By protecting my identity in the classroom, I can be a good teacher and I can make a difference.

BUT FIRST…
I MUST FACE MY FEARS HEAD ON!
WISH ME LUCK, I’M GOING TO NEED IT

 #itsfine #imfine #ShanWOW

4 comments:

  1. #ShanWOW: I really love what you had to say about the fear. Your Palmer quotes remind me of this week’s bell hooks reading about acknowledging the fears teachers have when asked to shift their paradigms. I am so glad we are getting this exposure to Palmer and hooks early on in our teaching career at UNT. I can definitely see how it could be even more “painful” to challenge long-held biases and previously unchallenged beliefs, after having the privilege of developing bad habits like “either/or”. I appreciate how both Palmer and hooks spend time unpacking the fear and all it can mean to us as teachers. When we are aware of the various fears that exist (in students and ourselves; inside and outside the classroom), we can acknowledge and productively use those fears, and/or choose different emotions to “lean into” the critical learning environment. #fromthefrontdesk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon, I definitely can relate to the zombie student tale. My 9:00 class always seems to be zombie’d out every class period. I have an odd relationship with those group of students, at least I believe it to be so, but after reading Palmer, I realize that my relationship seems strained with them because I am so SCARED of this kids! I fear what they think about me and my teaching. I often feel like they are my practice class because they are first. I am working on engulfing that fear I have with that class to challenge myself and my students as well. I’m a work in progress.... #TheReal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shanna-nanna-boo-boo, I agree absolutely. It's funny, actually. I just posted a blog about fear of losing credibility with my students just to scroll down to see this. While this was initially a fear of mine, I've decided to embrace my vulnerability and say "to heck with it!" I may be totally lost on material at times, or not know the answer to a student's question, and you know what? I OWN IT! I will straight up tell them, "You know, I actually am not sure right now, but I'd be happy to check with the professor for you and let you know." And I've found that the students are SO appreciative when I do this! It makes them trust me more. Vulnerability is not weakness. We can do this! #SoCanYou

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Shannon! One aspect of teaching that I have had an issue with at times is the "zombie student." Whenever I teach new material, I want my students to not only learn the material but to also engage with the material in discussion. When I introduce new topics to students, they will sometimes stare with blank faces or they will nod their hands as if they "understand." Other times, the same students will respond to the questions I ask to the class, removing the opportunity for other students to become involved. When students stay quiet, I sometimes believe as if I am not reaching the students or they are understanding the material but do not want to participate further. Using new and different approaches to teaching and new activities can assist in engaging the "zombie students" and allow them the opportunity to participate. We have to try our best to avoid the zombie student the best we can!

    ReplyDelete