Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Go Fish?

Hi guys, welcome back!

Today I was thinking about Mr. Stanley Fish, and how he does not have me hook, line, and sinker. His book, Save the World on Your Own Time, left a bad taste in my mouth for a number of reasons. The main idea that kept reappearing throughout his book that I took issue with, was his distain for educators bringing their own personal views into the classroom.

Growing up, my family was generally uneducated on political matters, which in turn means I didn't have much background on the political sphere at all. Then, I had a teacher who changed it all for me. When I was in middle school, I had a history professor who introduced me to the importance of politics, regardless of affiliation. We were discussing the government, and he related political views to help us understand the content in a different way. He encouraged my class to understand government, its functions, and what exactly the different sectors did. He was open about his political beliefs, but encouraged us to think about where we align. I never felt his intent was to sway us to believe what he did, but that he wanted us to think for ourselves. Learning to hear different points of view, and have a successful conversation with someone who believes different from you, usually begins within your academic journey.

After I began to develop my political ideology, I realized that I actually fell on the opposite side of the political spectrum of my teacher, who was the one that encouraged me to make this discovery. Although I don't agree with his political views in most contexts, I agree with his pedagogy of bringing his views into the classroom when it was relevant to the material at hand and furthered the understanding of the content. I feel through this self-disclosure on his part, I felt comfortable to explore my own views and the material alike. His views and ideals gave me a starting point of research that developed who I am in certain senses. I was able to differentiate between ideologies and find which specific ones fell in line with what I held dear in my heart and priorities. I am now heavily involved in politics, and make sure to educate myself on what's going on in that arena. This standpoint has given me the ability to realize that I want to always grow with the way the world is changing. Getting exposed to different viewpoints and ideas is absolutely critical to a successful education. My journey began in middle school, and has led me to become passionate about matters I didn't even think I would be concerned with less than a decade ago. 

Due to the lasting impact my teacher left on me from merely mentioning the importance of understanding politics, and self-disclosing his personal views, I have the desire to do the same with my students. I know some of my students may be in the same space that I was, uneducated and not familiar with matters that affect them. I feel that introducing them to possibly controversial or political issues, and offering my viewpoint, could inspire them to learn more for themselves. 

My ⚡️#lightningboldt of the week has been realizing that I really value learning teacher's opinions on matters, not because I want to believe exactly what they do, but because I feel it can inspire me to learn more about the topic myself. Through this realization, I hope to inspire my students to learn more for themselves about important things in society through offering my viewpoints on matters related to the content in class. 

On that note, I understand where you were trying to go with your book Mr. Fish, but not much of it stuck with me. So, maybe next time I'll have something more positive to say, but for now- Go fish! 

3 comments:

  1. Stanley Fish also rubbed me the wrong way, I agreed with some of his points but majority of them were NOT my cup of tea. I also value learning more about my teachers which is why I self-disclose to my students for the most part, I typically judge my classroom to see if it’ll contribute in the right way before I decide to disclose. I do believe sharing opinions can help inspire students to research their own opinion or inquire more about how the teacher feels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who also had a great political science professor (who also taught me to be involved in politics, even if I disagreed with him), I really appreciate that point of view. I know that I bring my beliefs on various things into the classroom with me, but I'm not sure how much they come through in my teaching. I don't bring them up much (see my self disclosing post...). I'm curious about your experiences of bringing your personal views into the classroom, and how your students have responded. I think it is the mark of a great teacher that can make their views known and still make students who disagree with them feel valued and important. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree! I think bringing personal opinion into the classroom to an extent is totally fine and even creates standout professors in a lot of cases! I had a professor once who never shared anything with us beyond the required material, and it was the most boring class I've ever taken and I don't think I remember even a little bit of what I was taught. I feel like as long as you're not tearing down other students' beliefs in the process and touting your own as the be all, end all, I don't see why professors should ever stay silent about the opinions and things that they care about.

    ReplyDelete