Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Let's Talk


Related image

It's been 10 weeks since I been teaching and something I have noticed is that each class is different. Sometimes we wonder how can one class be great and yet another be so different? I know I ask myself this all the time. 

Moreover, I observe and listen to my students discussion in all of my three classes and one thing I have noticed is that they all have different levels of discussion. Class A goes in depth in during discussion which causes the students to think and discuss furthermore while adding their style i.e. humor, sass etc. Class B has the same intensity but its the same people participating all the time or goes a little bit off topic. Lastly, Class C has very minimal discussion the students are quiet and very few participate. I have tried asking followup questions to the whole class in general but they often seemed to group think or not respond at all.


Recently, I read Palmer book and one quote that stood out to me was, " It is our commitment to the conversation itself, our willingness to put forward our observations and interpretations for testing by the community and to return the favor to others." This quote made me think of my students in each of my classrooms. How can I play that into action? What changes can be made? These are the questions I'm currently asking myself, since I would want for my Class B and C to be as Class A in their discussion because I believe that everyone has a different opinion/perspective on subjects. Therefore, the conversations in class can be interesting and full of richness. No to mentioned, the benefit the students can get from their classmates, they will gaining knowledge and hopefully understand the subject better.

None the less, I am still thinking of a process or possible solutions I can experiment, in the hopes to have a slight improvement from students participating during class discussion. 

#WhatAmIDoing 

2 comments:

  1. Stephanie,

    It is true that all class dynamics are different, but it is just as true that finding the right pedagogical techniques for classes takes time, and are more often than not always changing. Becoming a "good pedagog" is a process, and the definition of the term is reliant on what the class needs to most be successful.

    As you know, your fellow Teaching Assistants are always here to help answer any questions you may have, especially if you feel you need help changing your pedagogical style to best fit the needs of your students.

    For your Class C, I would suggest switching up the daily "norm" if you haven't tried that yet. For example, instead of beginning with announcements, immediately have students break into CLG's with a giant post-it to begin a mindmap over that week's important course concepts/terms. I found this helped my class last semester when they were suffering in a way similar to what you describe for Class C.

    Remember, the semester is almost over, so #KeepOnKeepinOn and keep encouraging your students to #reengage!

    #dontpanic

    <3 Rudi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie,

    Classroom dynamics are most often going to different from class to class. Like Rudi, I also think that it will take time. I also think that one cannot be to sure if Class B and C are ever going to resemble Class A. That does not mean that your pedagogy lacks, this just means that some classes are not going to be the same no matter how hard you try. Everyone is different.

    My solution is Accepting Difference. I am fully aware that my solution is not a simple one, in fact I do not think even the best of pedagogs would be able to do this. In order to accept difference, one must acknowledge it first. Every classroom is is going to have either a slight or drastically different classroom vibe, environment, or community because every student, even yourself, come from different previous institutions of learning, cultural backgrounds, ethnic backgrounds, socioeconomic backgrounds, religious backgrounds, and racial backgrounds. So everyone in the community, even the teacher, has to adapt some way or another; it is crucial that you adapt with them not for them or vice versa. Everyone has to take some responsibility when building the community.

    Co-creating this community allows you to feel the vibe in the classroom and work accordingly; not that there is no final product. Adjust, accommodate, and modify your energy, techniques, methods, strategies, lesson plans, and agendas according to the community's learning styles and engagement levels. However, you must accept if your techniques either succeed or fail and must be willing to continue to keep trying to co-create knowledge and communitaas.

    It's easier said than done but nevertheless, THOSE WHO CAN"T... QUIT but THOSE WHO CAN... TEACH! Thank you for posting!

    #THOSEWHOCAN

    ReplyDelete