Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Oppression & Stress

Throughout the semester, I have noticed particular students opening up more. For instance, one student (Garret) has substantially opened up more since the semester started. He has asked more questions, I can feel he is comfortable, and he really feels like he is a part of the class. Like anyone, however, Garret has been oppressed. Across Garrett's Online Activities, Garrett talked about how he was bullied earlier within his academic life. Garret's experiences with bullying is one reason that he, usually, does not speak in his classes. 

After our pedagogy class discussed the oppress-oppressor relationship, i found that this model really explains Garret's, and other student's, predicaments. At some point, an individual or group of individuals dehumanized Garrett. This caused Garrett to start to shut down. However, that changed as he started coming to my comm 1010 class. I always allowed him to ask any question, regardless of the repetitive nature. I always allowed him to say what he wanted to say without any backlash. One of the ways that I got Garrett to start speaking out was through critical thinking excersises. 

For instance, various days I ask students to dig deeper about why a problem might arise. There was a conversation during the conflict week where someone brought up bullying. As Garrett started to talk about the issue, he talked about his experiences with bullying. Resultantly, other peers and students began to give him tips and advice. Through the process of peer and pedagogue liberation, Garret started the transformation process. 

I often think back to my hashtag, #SoMuchStuffSoMuchStress. Although this may apply to us as teachers and graduate students, I have to remind myself that it applies to students like Garret. Like his peers, Garret has a million things going on in his life: school, family, work, and so on. The least that I can do as an instructor is provide him, and his peers, with a safe and comfortable classroom. Through critical thinking and problem poising education, I can offer my class that comfortable and safe environment. 

I think that this meme accurately reflects the above. Not only is the semester stressful for the students, but it is also stressful for the instructors as well. #SoMuchStuffSoMuchStress

7 comments:

  1. Brenden,

    While reading your post, I couldn't help but to feel a gradual warmth fill my heart! <3 The process in which your student, Garret, underwent in your classroom throughout the semester to become more comfortable is exactly what Palmer and hooks strives for in their texts. This truly coincides with what it means to conduct experiential learning in the classroom.

    You also brought up a great point when speaking about the lives of students outside the classroom. As instructors, I think it can be too easy to think that our class is the only class that exists and that students should care about the content as much as we do. What a wonderful world that would be! However, you're completely accurate when stated that students have a million other things going on. I think it is such a selfless act as an instructor for you to not only understand this, but to also offer a "safe and comfortable classroom" for them. If I were your student, I would be incredibly grateful for the hard work you put into your class to create that kind of environment.

    You're an amazing instructor, Brenden, and I want to encourage you to keep up the great work! You've been such an inspiration to all of us and I am truly honored to be apart of your team/cohort. #Pedagoalie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brenden,

    The level of reflection and application you posed towards your student for this blog post is admirable. I think now that we are teaching assistants, we often forget what it felt like to be in our undergraduate students' shoes.

    Your conclusion about how you, as an instructor, can better not only Garret's, but other students' experiences, show how seriously and how much you care about your role as their instructor. As you know, it often takes a well-formed student/instructor relationship, or environment to foster such a relationship, for a student to open up the way your student did. You must be creating an open, comfortable, and safe environment for your students to talk to you and experience life and the class in.

    Your students are lucky to have an instructor that cares as much about making a positive difference as you do.

    #dontpanic

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you went out of your way in order to make this specific student feel comforted and supported in your classroom. It is instructors like you that make students want to come to class. I also love that you connected how this student was feeling to the oppressor vs. the oppressed lesson we learned in class. Making him speak up and allowing his classmates to give him advice will for sure be memorable to him and allow him to find his voice in other classroom settings. I think it is a truly selfless thing to encourage a specific student in class and make him sort of the focus when discussing a specific topic. Your students witnessing these moments will also allow for them to learn with you and not just from you. I feel that this example is truly life changing for more than just one of your students and I bet it helped change your outlook as well. It is truly refreshing to see the love and support that you have for your students as well as the love and support they seem to have shown for someone who was just a stranger a few months ago. Good things are happening in your classroom. You should feel proud. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brenden, I love everything about this post. First, I think the story you shared about your student really says a lot about your classroom environment. Although it is up to the oppressed student to liberate themselves, there are ways that we as teachers can help. I think the best way to do this is to create an open, comfortable, and productive learning environment, which you have clearly done. It's so important that our students feel less like numbers and more like humans. I also like how you talked about encouraging your students to dig deeper. This is also something I like to do in my classroom. By digging deeper, students are forced to answer difficult questions and really make personal connections. The ability to share these in the classroom is what makes the environment so productive. I think you have done a great job connecting with your students, especially Garret- they are all very lucky to have you as an instructor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brendo,

    Thank you for sharing! Way to be a teacher ally Brendo! I think it's awesome that you provide a space for your students to express their experiences and reflect on those experiences. Through your experience in sharing a relationship with Garrett I imagine pays dividends to the class participation and engagement. I imagine that students are more comfortable not only in the process of sharing but critical thinking about their individual experiences. Any old classroom can partake in just sharing stories, but it takes a special learning community to think critically about the experiences they share and the experiences of others. It takes a special community to listen to these experiences and offer constructive feedback, tips, and comments to one another while standing in solidarity with each other.

    This engaged pedagogy you and your students partake in, is a step towards liberatory education. You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brenden,this is awesome news!

    It can be extremely hard for an oppressed individual to break away from the silence. Your student speaking out in class and feeling comfortable in an environment that you helped create says a lot of about your character and your pedagogical style. I think it is also important and special that your other students chimed in and gave advice to Garrett about bullying.

    Something that you brought up that I'm ashamed to admit that I forgot is that our students have other lives outside of my classroom. I should do better by remembering that and using it to my advantage when creating a safe and comfortable environment like you have!

    Your pedagogical approach is inspiring and I'm proud to call you my colleague!

    #stayinyourlain

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find it interesting how we are all able to incorporate the readings into our classroom. Brenden, I enjoyed reading your blog post since it posed a great example of the oppressed and oppressor. Not to mention, how you were able to change that in your classroom. At first, I was worried about Garrett not being able to disclose his past experience with bullying to his classmates. However, as he opened up and his peers were providing with advice it warmed my heart. It's amazing to see your classroom dynamic and that your students have that trust with each other to disclose deep personal experiences. I'm curious to know how Garrett is doing since you've mentioned that he has transformed since that day.

    ReplyDelete