Sunday, October 29, 2017

I Would Like to Make a Withdrawal

I always ask my students a question on their roll sheet. The questions are meant to be fun. I usually ask them about their favorites or ask them light questions about their lives. The other day I asked my second class what they wanted the question of the day to be. One of my students jokingly responded that I should already have the questions prepared. I responded I was trying to give them agency in their learning. Several students then commented I should just come to the class and give them information while they sat there. I went into full-scale pedagogical scholar mode and said, "actually that's called the banking model of education and Paulo Freier in his book Pedagogy of the Oppressed strongly advocates against it." They laughed and we moved on. The exchange was light-hearted, but I knew my students really did feel that way about their responsibility as learners.

Image result for evil bank

bell hooks also agrees with Freier that the banking model does not promote student engagement. I was especially interested in hooks' take on engagement. She does not judge engagement solely on how interested the students are in the material. Instead, hooks comments engaged pedagogy empowers both the students and instructors, accounts for the well-being of both the mind and body, and encourages genuine dialogue. Dang. That’s a lot to ask. It would be much easier to just speed through some PowerPoint slides and send them on their way. But I never once imagined teaching would be easy. If I was only interested in easy I would not be a graduate student (let's be real). Freire and hooks both believe educators have the potential to help students grow as people. To support this process, I have begun to give my students more leadership roles in the classroom. I now ask for volunteers to write things down on the board or ask a volunteer to lead discussions. It has honestly been a slow and painful process. My students are not accustomed to this type of learning. However, I am encouraged by the subtle changes in their engagement. I hope at least of few of my students will leave my class as more active and passionate participants in their own learning

#hookedonlearning #reengage

3 comments:

  1. Jayme,

    Your post inspired me! I have been struggling with one of my sections being completely disengaged. In fact, I sometimes think they also think that, "it would be much easier to just speed through some PowerPoint slides and send them on their way."

    However, I think a lot of your actions coincide with a lot of bell hook's teaching. I think that it would be such a neat idea to implement volunteers and leaders in my classroom as you do with yours. As you explained, it will be a slow and (very) painful process.

    I am very proud of you and the amazing teacher you have become! Keep it up!
    #Pedagoalie

    XOXO,
    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie, this very insightful and refreshing. Although in majority of my classes I don't have that particular issue, I find it interesting the changes that you started to make in your classes. Moreover, I agree with the statements you provided of hooks and fiere " educators have the potential to help students grow as people" If you don't mind, I might incorporate some of these ideas for my future classes!
    #GoJamie #WhatAmIDoing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jayme,

    I have to say, your idea to "ask a volunteer to lead discussions" is brilliant. As you know, my students and I recently had a similar discussion about their desire for the Banking Model. I was struggling with how to shift my pedagogical methods to increase engagement and make my students care again. I found myself thinking the same awful thing - my how easy it would be to just do lectures slides. #dontpanic

    Your determination to see your students achieve greatness is contagious to those around you. It is so amazing to see how hard you push and how great of a pedagogy you've become throughout the semester. I will be trying your idea for class-lead discussions this week!

    <3 Rudi

    ReplyDelete