Thursday, October 14, 2021

Heartwork Yourself

 

I will never forget the day that I broke-down and cried. Why was I crying? I was crying because it was 2 a.m. and I only got one thing done on my to-do list. All my life I run full speed and every second of the day is planned; but there is always something missing. I never plan for me. I plan the activities and put my heart into my students, but never into myself. I am always letting myself run on empty. It does not matter how much coffee or sugar I pump into my small 21 year old veins will make up for it.

Right now I am reading "A Walk in the Wood" by Joseph and Nancy Parent. The book uses the childhood figure Winnie the Pooh to reteach adults how to do little things to take time for themselves. The introduction and the first chapter of the book go over the simple things a person can do to start their day by taking time for themselves.

    1. Be in the here and now as much as one possibly can.

This meaning, take the time to slowly wake up every part of your body. Focus on every little noise and enjoy existing.

    2. Be as kind as possible. Not only to others but to yourself as well.

   If you are not kind to yourself you cannot be kind to other.

The book gives specific areas to start your day right and make it fulfilling. The first one being, wake up your body. Start by stretching and moving every inch you can. Second wake up to your environment. Take the time to listen and place yourself into the reality you want. Finally set your intentions for the day. Make a positive list of your goals and dream plan. Understand that it is ok if not all gets done. What is important is that you took the time for yourself, even if it starts with only 10 minutes.

This past week in class we talked about teaching being heartwork according to Parker Palmer. With heart work having the passion and teaching and feeling as one, we should stop only putting heartwork towards other and more to ourselves. We as teachers and as human beings spend all the time in the world trying to make others happy and putting our heart and heartwork into people that may or maynot care. "A Walk in the Wood" teaches us how to put the heartwork back into who we are and who we wan to be. We #dontrunonempty very well, no matter how much we think we can.

In all this week, make sure to take time for you. Even if it is only 10 minutes and #dontrunonempty.

Sources: Palmer, P. J. (2011). The courage to teach: Exploring the inner landscape of a teacher's life.

Parent, J. (2018) A walk in the wood: Meditation on mindfulness with a bear named pooh

No comments:

Post a Comment