Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Break the bank: Not all change makes cents

Let us all reach our jackpot! To work towards our journey of achieving our Master’s degree. All the work coincides with Friere's problem-posing model of education. Friere deems that the banking model of education is an "act of depositing, in which the students are the depositories, and the teacher is the depositor" (Freire, 72). An act that we must all learn to change. The question then arises: How do we break out of the conventional mode of education in which teachers give information that students take in, memorize, and regurgitate? We learn how to break the bank, of course.

Break the bank. Entering UNT as a graduate student had contrast with my experience as an undergrad at UNT. Same school. Different learning atmosphere. Classes shifted from more lecture formats to discussion-based. As an introvert, the experiences challenged my comfort in participating in discussions. I felt uncertain speaking during my classes even when I knew the information because I feared being wrong. I also became hesitant to ask about my levels of confusion because I did not want to appear incompetent or unprepared for not understanding. I questioned my previous abilities to succeed, still attempting to put my best foot forward to participate. My mentor and professors reminded me that all my feelings were valid, and my experiences aligned as expected with all the change. 

The shift from undergrad to grad school felt beyond me. I was uncomfortable (I remain uncomfortable), yet uncomfortability is growth, as they say! Throw Zoom on top of it, and wow! We have even more change. 

One realization in grad school: Not all change makes sense (cents). Change can also make bills. And bills can make our jackpot.

Jackpot. To hit the jackpot of securing our education. As a first-semester TA in the online teaching experience, I find myself reassuring my students that "We are all in this together," navigating through the realms of online education. To promote acts of co-intentional learning, where both my students and I actively participate in the creation of knowledge and finding our way through. I could see the uncertainties and emotions my students expressed to me about online learning, and I found myself telling them everything I wanted to hear and heard from my professors. The endless loop of learning how to listen to the advice I received and gave to others. What a concept.

The beauty lies in the journey to the end goal. And right now, we are all on the #journeyofuncertainty. And guess what? That is ok. On the path to everything I have ever wanted, and right now, many tasks all feel at stake. The acts all remind me of the song in High School Musical 2 called "Bet On It." 

The main male lead Troy Bolton, played by one of my favorite actors, Zac Efron, sings through a mental breakdown about counting on yourself and learning how to reach everything you ever want even through the many obstacles that can get in the way. One of the lines in the chorus that really relates includes: "I'm not gonna stop, that's who I am. I'll give it all I got, that is my plan. When I find what I lost. You know you can. Bet on it, bet on it. Bet on it, bet on it (Bet on me)."

One tip to myself: It is ok, to not be ok.

Baby steps on the road to flourish amidst all the change. To come out with more than we could ever expect. To break the bank. Any tips, my friends? #journeyofuncertainty

Citation:

DisneyMusicVEVO. (2019, September 12). Troy - Bet On It (From “High School Musical 2”) [Video]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-t4vqd534Y

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jacinta!
    This was such an amazing post! I absolutely agree that it is absolutely okay not to be okay and to give yourself lots of grace during the #Journeyofuncertainty. Additionally, Barkley discusses student engagement and active learning. Therefore, I recommend active learning--even when it is challenging to do--in staying motivated! I know online school is difficult--believe me, I've had trouble too with the #journeyofuncertainty but I believe in you and you've got this!

    ReplyDelete