Friday, December 2, 2016

Whoa Angela, you’re speaking to my soul!

As I read Chapter 2, I found myself a little bored until I got to the short blurbs on cultural standpoints of the instructors sharing their classroom experiences. As I read Tammy’s blurb I perked up and became invested in what I was reading, truly curious. Then I got to Angela’s cultural standpoint blurb and thought “hey they’re like me!”  (Well except for I am not in my thirties and I am biracial). It felt good to see myself in the content and know that I am not the only one who has be conditioned to code-switch when entering academic settings due to my upbringing in prominently white schools. Nor am I the only one who often has to disclose their racial makeup or face the horrible question of “What are you?” (human, the answer is always a human -___-).

Angela’s explanation for why some minority students do not want to discuss whiteness and racial inequalities due to the pressure of having to be a “representative” and that discussing points to their otherness when most just want to blend in, belong. Reminded me that not every minority is as open and ready to discuss whiteness as I am. Not every minority is willing to act as a representative and give classmates a peak into the struggles of being marginalized. Additionally, some minorities do not even recognize the oppressive spaces they enter each day. For myself, I never named being the only racial minority in a classroom as oppressive and never gave two thoughts to being passed over when I raised my hand. Never did I think being told I should look in to community college instead of wasting time applying for scholarships by my high school counselor could be a result of my position as a minority. I knew no different! I had always been the only or one of a few minorities in the room. So I knew no better and had no name for the feelings of not belonging.


It took me a while and many communication courses to realize my own marginality and become comfortable discussing them. I was finally #wokeaf.  I must keep this in mind next week as my classes discuss language, culture, and power. Additionally, reading each of the instructors’ experiences and after thoughts. I feel more prepared for the upcoming discussions in 1010. I feel as if I am ready for those of my students who may feel attacked as well as those who may be looking for me to validate their position as anti-racist. Since I have an idea of the ways the conversations may go, I find myself preparing and practicing scripts. I feel like my own stories and the safe space I have been working on all semester will foster a good discussion and maybe even help a few of my students check their own privilege. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Jordan! Please let me know how it goes. I'm always so careful about how I discuss race within my classroom because I'm afraid I'm almost forcing my non-white students to be representatives. I never really know how the conversation will go, so I'd love to hear about the scripts you made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Creating a safe space for students can be one of the most challenging tasks in a classroom. Knowing you for the short few months I have though leaves me with no doubt in my mind that you are capable of achieving it - I've also had questions about my own subjectivity in the classroom and how to avoid silencing students when my own views don't align with theirs. It's a process with which I'll be grappling for the foreseeable future!

    ReplyDelete