Monday, December 12, 2016

All #thefeels

I started the blog post assignment a bit late in the game, because honestly acknowledging this good girl’s fears, failures, insecurities and even successes was scary. Having to write them down for the world to see was TERRIFYING. So, I put it off as long as I could. 

The common themes of fear and uncertainty appear throughout my posts. With each reading, class discussion, and subsequent blog post my doubt lessened. I went from worried about being questioned, rejected, and read as an underqualified teacher to uncertain how to best teach from my experiences. My worries have grown to be more complex, while at the same time easing many of the worries that made teaching scary in the beginning.

I chose #thefeels as my hashtag to represent my goal of being in tune with the emotions of my students and to show empathy. However, my hashtag has evolved to symbolize much more. #thefeels represents being in touch with my own feelings. #thefeels means entering the classroom wholly. #thefeels embodies being authentic, not diagnosing my students, a willingness to be vulnerable, not dismissing opposing ideals, and to be present.


Through Palmer I became more accepting and understanding of my student from hell. hooks empowered me to entering the classroom wholly and to allow for vulnerability. Fassett and Warren reminded me everyone deserves a chance to be heard without judgement. Bell and Golombisky helped me realize my soft spot for good girls like myself. Each of the authors we read in one way or another influenced and will forever be apart my pedogeological foundations. Just as each of the discussions in class (and in the TA space) has shaped my pedagogy and changed my feelings of uncertainty to feelings of curiosity. I am curious to see what the future holds, what ways my pedagogy serves me in the classroom, and what ways I grow as an instructor. #thefeels

1 comment:

  1. Hi fellow good girl,
    I think part of the good girl paradox is that we feel so responsible for others feelings, that we ignore our own. If we do this forever, we kind of mess up our own ability to authentically empathize with anyone. Going through this once makes me really excited for next semester. What a good foundation and cool support system we have! Thank you for being a part of mine.

    -Bailey

    ReplyDelete