Tuesday, December 13, 2016

well bye~


What’s up, fellow teens! It’s time for a spoooooOOOooOOoooky Halloween season wrap up post!  I didn’t get to do anything on Halloween because of school so I’m gonna make up for it here!


The semester is winding down, and soon the decompression/reflection process can start in earnest. I was thinking maybe it could start this week, but no such luck - Dr. Treat was asking me recently how the semester was going, and I wasn’t able to think of anything substantive. I’m fried, gang!


This semester I had planned to speak about authenticity, but found it difficult when I realized I have more of a problem speaking inauthentically. I ended up focusing on reaffirmation - how the stress of the semester made me question why I was here - turns out that was the wrong question to ask! I know why I’m here - I want to be here. All I needed to do was think about my two years out of school and how dead I felt on the regular to figure that out. The real question was how to I continue the re-membering process - re-membering how i felt as a student so I could empathize as a teacher, re-membering the sublime feeling of a good performance or speech or class discussion (and how much work is necessary to achieve that feeling), re-membering how people can always surprise you with generosity and kindness when it so often seems that everyone is out to screw each other over.


I’d like to thank hooks for her words on respecting pain, fish for being my whipping boy, fassett & warren for writing that melts my brain, and just the most kind, generous, funny group of fellow TAs I could ask for.


It’s been a toughy! Wow, what a tough one, huh?! Kind of a haunted one! Still have some more work to do before things are done, I’ll do better next semester. Got a whole list of tips and tricks under my sleeve (and written down in google drive) now. Nap time’s on the 19th, and I plan to be ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment