Sunday, December 4, 2016

#HappyHappyJoyJoy

ENTHUSIASM!!!


Y'all, the semester is almost over (bless). There have been a combination of feelings regarding teaching and learning and helping direct a show (where I'm backstage typing up this blog right now) that look a little something like this:



All of the blogs this semester have helped me realize all of the different experiences while teaching and being in grad school and I'm so grateful that all of you shared a part of yourselves in this blog (yeah, yeah, #heartwork or whatever). So let's wrap this puppy up in a pretty bow:

In my first blog, I was so young, so naïve. However, the idea of enthusiasm still stands strong in so many of the works we read. Barkley (2010) stated that enthusiasm helps to make content interesting and accessible to students. Especially in our 1010 classes, enthusiastically giving information to students who normally would not take our COMM classes is vital. 

Freire's (1972) work on oppression also blew my mind to the possibilities of all the struggles students face not only in college but in their lives. These students face so many situations that I could never imagine in my life, and using enthusiasm, we can give our students a voice and way to speak about their oppression.

Now, Fish (2008) challenged me a little bit. I did not like his work because I feel like my job is more than just being a beacon of information, but being a resource to my students. Fish wasn't very enthusiastic, but I challenge everyone to encourage their students to be the best humans they can be (if they choose to do so).

Palmer (2007) has a lot of feelings, and although I don't, being authentically enthusiastic is really important. Palmer did teach me to be less judgmental. I cannot link someone's worth to the grades they receive, and I must remember that. We can all use some enthusiasm to help grow our hearts (like the Grinch or something).

Finally, my last blog discussed Communication Apprehension (CA) as it relates to teacher enthusiasm (McCroskey, 1970). Again, this connects to Palmer (2007) because I cannot judge the students who choose to not do presentations because of nerves, however I can do my damnedest to encourage my students that they are worth their smart words.

So I guess all of this is to say that I have some feelings. I want my students to do well and to be confident in what they have to say. I think that enthusiasm creates an amazing relationship with my students - they know that the rules in my class do not only apply to the classroom, but to real life. Be #happy, have #joy, and radiate that in your classrooms. It helps your students be awesome.

#happyhappyjoyjoy?

4 comments:

  1. FIRST OF ALL YOUR GIFS ARE AMAZING. Second of all, I really loved your insight throughout the semester. Sappy warning: since I do spend 7 days a week with you, I really have come to appreciate your perspective and the conversations we've had. Your teaching style is unique and I really love how much you care for your students. It really shows (even though I'm not in your classes). I really enjoy how your personality is reflected in your teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I just say that I really appreciate how you went out of your way to reduce the font size on "feelings." Anywho, I knew you would have no trouble this semester within all of our classes together and the classes you're teaching. I bet your students had the most efficiently organized class in the history of the world, which I probably made your classroom environment phenomenal. I'm not going to be too cheesy (because you might get sick), but I'm glad you're here, and I'm glad we still tolerate each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah HA, i KNEW you had feelings.

    I found it incredibly interesting that in the early readings of the semester, "enthusiasm" and "authenticity" felt like buzz words, and over time the readings touched the core of Why teaching can be exciting and Why this experience matters. That's where my feelings came in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taylor,

    I'm pretty sure you're the yin to my yang. I kinda hate that I said that, but what the heck #pedayogi. Your strength and conviction is really inspiring. Thank you for being so willing to support and teach others. I have no doubt that you help make your students awesome.

    ReplyDelete