Sunday, October 9, 2016

Experience.

John Dewey wrote about experience in the classroom in 1938 and it still resonates with instructors today.  I am not going to lie, reading his book was confusing to me. Not until the discussion in Pedagogy did it click for me.  I realized after discussing his book in class what an awesome platform we have, as instructors, to affect our students lives.  To be a part of that "A Ha!" moment when something makes sense to them.  To be with our students when they have the opportunity to experience.
A moment of experience came about through another one of my #trysomethingnew days, which I was really pleased with.  I, once again, went to my peers to try and map out exactly how my class was going to play out.  I spoke to more than one of you about my completely "group based" class.
It started with paired sharing of introductory paragraphs over their social issue.  This exercise was designed to accomplish three things, 1) they were to pair with someone they had not worked with yet, to meet someone new and 2) I wanted them to get a head start on brainstorming their social issue and finally 3) I wanted them to have the opportunity to practice an introductory paragraph ahead of their impromptu speeches.
After this exercise, I put them in their CLGs to work on writing an outline for a speech on the topic of my choosing.  I chose vegetables. :)  I was met with many a grunt and groan over cauliflower and broccoli.  I even had a snarled "None of us has even eaten cauliflower."  Holding fast to the experience, I soothingly encouraged them to choose a side of the cauliflower to advocate for.  They dutifully chose anti-cauliflower and they did well with developing the outline of their speech.
When the exercise had concluded, I asked "Why would I have you write an outline over something as silly as vegetables?"  One of my cauliflower students said "To get us ready for impromptu speeches."  Eureka!  Pay dirt!  He got it!  Vindication!  The eye rolling, grumbles and groans were all worth it.  
Their final group exercise of the day was to look over the impromptu speech topics and brainstorm a new topic as a group.  This was the last activity of my "all group work" day.  
My "all group work" day was a success.  Was it a success because they were in groups?  Or was it a success because they got to experience?  Or maybe a combination of both?  The achievement the students made that day was not one that I could have planned out with my fellow TAs.  It was something they gained through the experience of planning an outline over an outrageous topic.  Who wants to write an outline over corn?!?
This is the wave I will ride until I am blessed with another Eureka! moment.  The experience granted our students is one they may not realize that they want or need, but it is a shining light, none the less.  Come to think of it, I think my cauliflower students  (the ones who had "never even eaten cauliflower") did the best on their impromptu speeches.  Learning through experience.

1 comment:

  1. hmm i don't think i've eaten cauliflower either, now that i think about it...

    i thought dewey's discussion surrounding experience was a valuable one and it's awesome to see the effects of experience on students in education. i feel i learn the most when im physically doing it, and #tryingsomethingnew is one of the best ways to foster education in the classroom

    ReplyDelete