Sunday, October 23, 2016

Something Fishy about this…


When you teach from the heart, it is difficult to completely agree with Fish’s ideology.

Although I can agree with Fish in some aspects, I believe that in order to effectively teach and inspire our students, we DO in fact need to go out of our way for them. Now, don’t get too carried away with that.  I’m not saying you are going to “save the world” through your teaching, however, I believe that we do need to inspire and make proper accommodations for our students to make a difference in our world – I mean, for many of our students, they ARE the next generation.  They DO contribute to society.  Your student could be the next Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, or the next president. As a teacher, our students do rely us to influence and shape their education (and to some degree, themselves).

Fish does make a good point, claiming that we should focus on academics.  This, I can completely understand.  Being a structured person myself, I understand the need for “uniformity” within a department or course.  Balance is key. However, I do not agree that as teachers we “just do our jobs.”  We do more than our obligations (setting up a course, preparing a syllabus, devising exams, etc.) …we care!

In my previous teaching experiences, I heard a quote from a very enthusiastic principal (that most definitely saw past educating solely on academics).  In a staff meeting, the principal stated, “If you reach their hearts, you reach their minds.” This quote has stayed with me throughout the years and has heavily impacted my pedagogy. So, I ask you, what do you do to reach their hearts? How do you inspire your students to not only participate, but to be moved? How do you apply your field to their lives?
#heartwork
Fish, S. (2008). Save the world on your own time. New York: Oxford.

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea you share of needing to reach students hearts to reach their minds. Another way to explain it to someone who is resistant to the idea of teaching as heartwork is motivation. You first have to help student recognize that they care about learning (motivation) and then you can reach their minds to help them grow. -- kal

    ReplyDelete