Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Why Teach Communication?


As a student and teacher of communication studies, I am often asked, what exactly do you do? That is a great question. What do we do in communication studies? Communication… that’s like… talking and stuff, right? Communication studies has an extensive historical presence in academia, and Nainby claims that the subject matter has been anything but static. This is explicitly clear through his article, but there are certain elements from the ancient Greek studies of rhetoric that I personally find not only interesting, but also necessary to communication studies today.
In Keith Nainby’s article Philosophical and Methodological Foundations of Communication Education Nainby explores the evolution of Communication Education in an attempt to identify the foundations of the practice. Through his articulation of why we teach communication I found myself questioning my goal of becoming a communication professor.
Nainby explains that early studies of rhetoric were largely concerned with developing a healthy democracy. Better understandings of public speaking leads to increased ability to participate in the public sphere. This is built from two major philosophical assumptions of communication education: (1) that communication acts are responsive to other texts, and (2) communicative acts shape both people and the human world. This is the exact reason I was drawn to communication studies. I was frustrated with the political apathy that I saw in my generation, and wanted to develop methods to engage the public and actually accomplish something. I am fed up with hearing students trying to justify their apathy by saying that they’ve liked something on Facebook, or they bought Tom’s shoes. These hipsters do a great job explaining the problem with this:

When it comes to educating my students, I also want to ensure that while I do not force my personal ideologies on them, I can provide tools for them to think about these types of problems critically, and evaluate for themselves what to do. Nainby also claims that teaching communication studies is a method for developing basic principles to evaluate the ethicality of a speaker. He claims that this perspective is founded upon two methodological assumptions of communication education: (1) communicative acts are best understood as contextual, and (2) communicative acts are complicated and require multilevel analysis.
Nainby cites McGee, and identifies someone like me, when he says “Argumentation was taken up, not by scholars committed to ivory-tower research in to the writings of dead Greeks, but by teacher interested in… our political system in crisis.” He observes a contradiction of communication education where there is a divide between the desire to develop a competent public that is engaged in political issues, and the desire to approach communication as a scholar seeking to understand the mechanics and tactics of text formation.

Education is our passport to something or other...
What I believe Mr. Rybak is trying to articulate here is that education is no good without a combination of theory and practice. As a teacher, I want to encourage my students to think beyond themselves. This means thinking outside of their culture, understanding how language affects their world, and how they can use language to shape society. So is the divide real? Or can we, as communication scholars and educators seek an understanding of text mechanics, and then utilize that information to develop a healthy democratic society? Isn’t that what communication studies all about? I know that’s why I came here. After all, education is our passport to… something.


HSJ

6 comments:

  1. HSJ,
    Nainby does a great job of introducing a part of the history of Communication Studies (as we may understand it) and relating this back to the roots of English, public speaking, and democracy. Our University separates Communication Studies into Interpersonal/Organizational Communication, Performance Studies, and Rhetoric. Within this context, do you feel that you have more "tools" to reach your students? How might you engage your students to consider different viewpoints through the lens of performance studies?

    -C.H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was my favorite quote from the Nainby article; I do think that most of us are in this discipline for something with more visible effects than padding our mental and cultural libraries, and this is what made reading Fish such a struggle for me. It is comforting (in a way that I never thought Plato would be comforting) to hear some confirmation that we are in a position to teach and assess ethics in the context of communication studies, but as only a part of what we do and what rhetoric is good for.

    In response to C.H.'s question, I have begun to appreciate Performance as a method for investigating the self, Rhetoric as a discipline that illuminates the layers of meanings in discourse and their effect on our social understanding, and I/O for demystifying human relationships. All of these are additional--and by no means exclusive--perspectives that I want Communication students to gain from my teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Essentially, I believe it's how you (as a scholar) view the discipline determine how you (as a teacher) presents the discipline. So if I continually talk about how I/O does X and Rhetoric does Y and then how Performance does Z, I miss the importance of why they are under one umbrella of study. It's the intersection of those ideas/areas is how the conversation provides a deeper understanding of communication studies, well for me anyways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura,
      I agree with your criticism here. Communication (Studies) looks different depending on the program. Some schools like at culture studies, whereas others focus on strategic communication. Sometimes, the Communication (Studies) department is housed within Speech and Audiology. If we reduce the functionality to how Communication Studies looks in our own department, we’re limiting the effectiveness of departments who do not mirror our approach.
      -C.H.

      Delete
    2. Laura and C.H.

      I concur with your statements as well. This is especially true in regards to opening up the field to various contexts and collaborations with other departments and fields of study. While I understand the need to specify what Communication Studies is due to funding and creating a specific academic environment, I'm also able to observe how differentiating too heavily creates tension and resentment between departments and even within departments.

      Delete
  4. Your major question here is why we teach communication. In addition to this, I usually find myself struggling with another question: what is communication? This is a frequent question I face whenever I visit the Middle East where this discipline is either merged with journalism (and of course without a critical approach) or simply does not exist. Add to this my struggle to explain the benefit of this discipline and its vitality to democracy and empowering voices. "So, you question everything?" my friend asked me once when I was trying to explain her what a critical approach is. "You mean you question your religion, the way you were raised?" she continued with excitement and fear. I smiled and replied: "I am trying to find out why you and I have to put up with many practices that marginalize us. I have to look everywhere for an answer."

    ReplyDelete