Tuesday, November 19, 2013

I am “primary text” in the classroom: Reflections of an “Othered” TA

One of my students has recently asked me why many of my examples on stereotypes, power, and hegemony are about the Middle East. I answered him with a frustrated smile: “You need to understand that what happens in the Middle East does not remain in the Middle East. Can we examine terrorism and the War on Terror or gas prices without talking about Middle Eastern culture?” The rest of the students laughed, and one replied: “I think it is important to know about other cultures, and you are the perfect example that debunks many of the stereotypes we know about Arabs.”

Perhaps my experience as a teaching assistant/instructor is more challenging than that of my colleagues in terms of being one who belongs to a culture often thought of as “primitive,” “backward,” “exotic,” and one that “promotes violence” (Shaheen, 1985). Resisting dominant assumptions is not an easy task, but finding myself often frustrated with such perceptions was one reason I applied for a TA position. I still remember how anxious I was when I first entered the classroom and introduced myself to students. I walked in, smiling, and wrote my name in English, Arabic, and Russian. I explained to them where I came from, and then paused for some seconds before I told them: “You may have noticed that I have an accent, and I do not think it will cause any confusion. However, if you do not understand what I say, raise your hand and ask.” They all nodded, implying approval and excitement at my unexpected transparency.

Johnson and Bhatt’s (2003) essay, “Gendered and Racialized Identities and Alliances in the Classroom: Formations in/of Resistive Space” explains why it is important to examine “How do we dialogue with those who are not—not us, not me—particularly when this notness is contextualized within a construction of being that essentially and inherently marks us as superior or subordinate?” (p. 230). The authors assert that the classroom is one main space in which “social justice prevails” by creating an intercultural exchange through which we learn from each other, and resist prejudices.


So, how do I create such space? I bring my own experience to the classroom. I present myself as one example of that faraway culture that most students have learned about from the media and political rhetoric. Standing in front of them and telling them stories that debunk cultural myths of my culture is one experience that fills me with content, and helps them understand, for example, that not all Arabs are Muslim. There are Christian Arabs, Jewish Arabs, and even atheist Arabs. I log in to my Facebook account and show them pictures of my friends, some wear hijab, while others do not. I explain to them that we have the right to criticize, but we do not have the right to offend other cultures. I am, simply, the “primary text in the classroom” (p. 234). The benefits are numerous from analyzing my experience and sharing it with my students. 

3 comments:

  1. I am enthralled by this concept of the body/embodiment as text in the classroom. It makes me want to come watch you teach. It also makes me think, to what extend is this true of every teacher without even meaning to? In what implicit ways is this already happening? Also, what flaws are inherent with this approach?

    As always, thank you for sharing your experiences. They always inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fun post as always friend. While I think you bring a unique experience to the classroom in regards to your presence as the "other" in the classroom, I would like to know about some of the negative experiences you've faced as a TA in regards to your race and cultural background.

    The benefits of your presence are many, and I'm sure you have great success in your classroom debunking cultural myths, especially with a culture that has been demonized heavily over the last 25 years, but again, I'm curious to know about the challenges you have faced being an "other" in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your question is vital to any conversation about the experiences of the teacher as the "other." Yes, being the "other" in the classroom helps students, I argue, understand more about other cultures and makes it easy for them to debunk some myths about stereotypes that relate to this culture.

      Negative experiences? I cannot talk about one specific example nor am I able to recall any event that made me feel not wanting to teach again. I am not a super "other" but I think that my long residence in non-Middle Eastern countries has equipped me with strategies that facilitate my communication with those around me, including my students.

      One way is to admit that I am the "other" but with some twists here: "I am not that (other) you think you know all about." I explain to them that I am proud of my culture but I am also critical of many practices that take place there. Probably this is what makes my teaching experience unique: celebrating my difference and having pride in my culture but not to a point that I do not acknowledge the impact of other cultures on my identity.

      Delete