Sunday, November 3, 2013

Spirituality in the Classroom



Many well respected pedagogy theorists speak of becoming immediate to students both intellectually and to some extent, even emotionally.  Teachers widely accept this to varying extents.  Some think that emotional vulnerability should be minimal in the classroom, or that it should always come from a place of authority.  At the very least, it is recognized that when vulnerability is introduced it should be with purpose. There is a very large argument that states that a teacher cannot be the best teacher he/she can be without becoming self aware and self reflective (Palmer, 2007, Freire, 2010, & hooks, 1994).   An emphasis on the reconciliation of all parts of the self is placed on the teacher in order to be immediate and present with her/his students. 
If, as Palmer, Freire, and hooks argue, it is so important for a teacher to be open (at least to an extent) with his/her students about her/himself, should not this include one’s spirituality? Hendrix pushes for spirituality to be presented in the classroom.  Hendrix gives 4 steps to take as a teacher to prepare the self to be able to bring spirituality into the classroom: “1) cultivating the whole person, 2) Sensing one’s connection to the universe, 3) Attending to our students minds, bodies, and spirits, 4) Inviting emotion and soul into our classrooms” (2010, p. 87).  To start with I think that we can all agree that it is important to know what one believes, what values one holds, and what one thinks (number 1), otherwise how can we teach? The idea of “sensing one’s connection to the universe” seems to be talking about knowing what place one holds and what they want to do with that.  It asks “what is the purpose?”
We can examine this third practice of “Attending to our students’ minds, bodies, and spirits” specifically as it pertains to teaching.  It is certainly the teacher’s duty to attend to the mind of his/her students, but is it really the responsibility of the teacher to attend to her/his pupils bodies and spirits?  Is not the job of attending to bodies the task of doctors, nurses, physical therapists and such? Is it not the spirit the territory of priests, pastors, shamans, and sensei? Those trained for those professions?  I cannot deny that there are aspects of teaching that overlap all of these categories; after all, you cannot separate the mind out of the soul and body of the student, but are these aspects really inside the realm of a teachers’ responsibility?
The final practice asks teachers to invite spirituality into the classroom.  All at once it is the function and intention of the classroom to look at things through a rational and logical perspective, using imperial evidence and analysis of all things.  At the same time, it is hard to argue that one’s spiritual beliefs do not filter this reasoning and analysis.  The question comes down to: Should spirituality be encourage and welcomed in the classroom? Should it be embraced, just talked about, or ignored completely?
It is hard for me to conceive that if I were to share my spiritual views in my classroom that it would not shut down other differing viewpoints.  For that matter, if I chose to encourage the discussion on spirituality in my classroom, would it not be more prudent to keep my own views silent? From the other side, does staying silent act as a way of ignoring that I have any bias and thus light is never shed that my teaching, perspective, and ideas are all colored by my beliefs? 
Should religious and spiritual views be encouraged as a source of knowledge in the classroom?  Is there a good way to use and talk about spirituality as a teacher?

~A.R.G.


6 comments:

  1. Alicia,

    I as well have asked a lot of the same questions you have in your post about spirituality in the classroom, and whether stating my views would be beneficial or detrimental to my own ethos, as well as the class as a whole. As a facilitator and instructor, I think to state one's own specific views would overall be detrimental to a class. As the point of authority for your class, I think in stating your own beliefs, it may silence others who might otherwise speak up if not in fear of offending the teacher (especially in 1010 classes).

    However, I'm in no way saying that religious and spiritual views should not be a source of knowledge in the classroom. I think I personally would approach things through multiple worldviews and religious perspectives. This way, the focus falls onto the presence of multiple perspectives, as opposed to the teacher's perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian,

      I understand your (and Alicia's) hesitation to bring spirituality into the classroom, but I think it's important that we do not underestimate the capability of our students. I have multiple students in my class that are willing to raise their hands and question what I have said and explain why they disagree with some of the concepts we discuss. It is important that we foster an environment where our students are comfortable doing this and critically engaging in the material. I ensure that I maintain this environment by affirming the views of my students that dare the contradict me in productive ways. I belive this will lead to higher levels of critical thinking, and benefits the entire class, as well as myself.

      Delete
  2. A.R.G.,
    People who know me know that I am not a very immediate instructor, but my views on spirituality in the classroom may seem a little surprising. I do not think that instructors need to quote scripture to bring their religious beliefs into the classroom; these beliefs exist as much in speech as they do in action. I believe that religion and spirituality are not synonymous, and substituting the words is getting away from the point. I believe that Hendrix's steps to bring spirituality into the classroom are much less daunting if the practitioner simply changes the vocabulary. In our classrooms, we shudder at the use of the word "spirit" in a traditional classroom, but freely invite words like "motivation," "drive." These words may call into your mind images of "The American Dream," but they still speak to the intangible essence of the individual.

    -C.H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I share C.H.'s idea of spirituality. I am very deliberate about avoiding religion in any sense except to break ethnocentric assumptions or when necessary to use as examples--largely because I do not have a sure grip on what my religious beliefs actually are, except my firm belief that my students should never even know them. But spirituality is an entirely different thing for me--it's whatever helps you to feel whole and connected, fulfilled, enlightened, or whatever "feeling" is at the very least, the most healing for your internal well-being. So spirituality could be--acknowledgment of the vastness of the universe in a science classroom, or the wonder of nature, the miracle of language, or the sameness and diversity of the world's people. To me, these are spiritual---and that last one, especially, has a firm place in a Communication classroom. So showing your enthusiasm and spirituality in these ways, I think, and according to the feedback I have received from my students, is refreshing to them--they enjoy seeing it. It makes you look more authentic. And they can connect with you better in class. Win!

      Delete
    2. I do agree with you! spirituality is not just about religion. It is a way of seeing things, explaining events, and bringing that which makes you connected with your students. Avoiding the either/or and embracing other views signifies my spiritual critical teaching. Taking the time to prepare for class and understanding students also signifies my spirituality. In short, what I do, what I say, and what I accomplish is at the heart of me being a spiritual educator caring for the well being of my students (I take care of them by introducing other less common beliefs, empowering marginalized voices, and respecting their views).

      Delete
  3. I definitely agree C.H. If we concentrate on a religious approach to incorporating spirituality in the classroom, I think the safety zone we seek to form as teachers in our classrooms will be lost. I'll all for challenging students to engage in dialogue that makes them uncomfortable, but I do not believe this is what any of our previous readings are encouraging us to do with our students.

    ReplyDelete