Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Make 'Em Laugh

 

Humor can go a long way in the classroom. However, it's not enough to just be funny, you have to be funny and something else. Humor is like a condiment. No one says, "Hey, let's got to Chili's and have all the honey mustard."

In this week's readings, I found a special connection with Booth & Wanzer's (2010) article concerning humor in the classroom. The authors broke down humor into multiple categories, reviewed the benefits involved with classroom humor, and explained the importance that nonverbal communication and behavioral skills play in bringing humor to the classroom. Seeing as how nonverbal communication (or for Karen, the attachment of verbal signifiers to physical actions) makes up between 75-91% of the message process, physical presence is essential in adding humor to the classroom.

That being said, I'm not implying that we as educators need to bring slapstick routines so our classes are entertained for the entirety of each class. However, nonverbal cues are an essential element when making attempts toward humor, as demonstrated by one of my favorite physical comedy actors:



This brings up the question, "How can I be funny in the classroom? I'm not a funny person." One of the wonderful things about the modern age has been the dawning of the internet, with access to the wonders of websites like YouTube! We have the ability to access gigabytes upon gigabytes of humorous material as a means to help make the material we teach relatable  to our students.

Moving beyond technology into humorous performances in the classroom, Booth & Wanzer (2010) stress the importance of kinesics and paralanguage when trying to be funny in front of a class. Elements of timing, voice inflection, intonation, facial expression, body presence, and volume play key roles in effective humor and what's more, these are skills that can be improved over time and practice.

It is important to note, however, that certain boundaries exist when dealing with humor in the classroom. I find it important to view humor from either a relief theory perspective (humor as a cathartic release of pent up emotions) or through incongruity theory (humor in the unexpected).

As such, sarcasm can be a hard cookie to bite through. Sarcasm relies heavily on subtle nonverbal cues to convey specific messages which can sometimes be interpreted as offensive rather than funny. This interpretation falls under superiority theory, a "premise that people laugh a others' shortcomings, failings, or inadequacies" (Gruner, 1978, 1997).

Booth & Wanzer (2010) mentioned sarcasm as a type of humor initially deemed negative, but later found to be appropriate for instructional humor. However, I stress the importance of not using sarcasm to marginalize students in the classroom.

Using humor in the classroom creates a positive environment for students, likeability of the instructor which leads to a more receptive student-teacher relationship. However, humor's effectiveness as an instructional tool requires that the humor relate to the subject matter, and that the nonverbal cues are appropriate to the type of humor.

I'm a big fan of humor in the classroom and even if you would deem yourself as "not funny", I would challenge my fellow instructors to take chances, incorporate more laughs in the classroom, and just see what happens. Just remember, our humor should never cross the line to marginalizing students or creating laughter at someone's expense. In the words of another physical actor I greatly admire:



B. L.

6 comments:

  1. As a new teacher, I find humor extremely useful - particularly when I make mistakes in the classroom. It helps me move past the anxiety of being perceived as incapable of managing the class, it momentarily distracts the students from the mistake, and it relaxes the class and myself so that we can move forward in a positive manner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Humor has always been a site of struggle for me--I'm not a funny person until I know you very, very well, so how could I possibly come off as such without veering into "Cheesy" or "Trying too hard"?

    Of course, YouTube has been a massive help with this, but I also appreciate your discussion of humor and nonverbal cues for providing another option. Humor can be mild and subtle just as well as deliberate and uproarious--If my goal is just to be more immediate and comfortable a figure to my students, and to keep them engaged with the material, then mild might just be the way to go. I don't need to make anyone laugh outright, but some cheeky grins and authentic, light tone of voice on my part also does the trick in a way that does not feel too outside of myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's laugh. So during my first year of teaching, my approach to my classroom was organized, fun and relaxed the first week of school. It didn't take long for that to subside as I graded my first papers. After giving them a "motherly talk", I tried to bounce back into my sarcastic and fun teacher mode. My goal was that I should maintain my goal to have them succeed, but at the same time make it relaxing. Well, failed attempt. I ended up overly using my sarcastic approach to help the students easily receive my criticism. Let's just say most of them did not take it so well.
    This semester, I definitely combined the two earlier on. Truly a better technique. Taking a step back and not marginalizing (to some extent I guess I did) and assessing how my class received my message(s) is so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. B.L.,
    I am a competent humor-oriented individual and I am very comfortable using humor. My preferred form of humor is language. Outside of the classroom, my humor is well-received; this is rarely the case inside of the classroom. Booth-Butterfield and Wanzer (2010) stated that humor in the classroom is a form of immediacy, but I feel as if I need to be more immediate in other aspects for my students to feel comfortable laughing. Also, there is a largely documented bias against women in comedy; I would not be surprised to learn that this bias extends into the classroom as well. Should researchers examine the perception of humor in the classroom when implemented by women?

    -C.H.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think one way to discuss humor in the classroom is to examine its relation with "authenticity." I am not a humorous person usually when I am surrounded by strangers. However, once I know them, I am more relaxed and you will be amazed how funny I am. The worst thing, I guess, is to assume that your students should laugh and enjoy your non-verbal and verbal ques. I am usually myself, and that makes me feel comfortable in the classroom. To me, this is what matters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noura,
      I can very much relate to your experience. I frequently do not show my sense of humor when I am with strangers, but once I get to know people I am more comfortable having a sense of humor. This presents me with an issue: is my humor effective, or is a positive response a kindness extended by the people who know me? Furthermore, is it fair to put my students in such an awkward situation, or does this demonstrate my own willingness to be vulnerable in the classroom? So many questions.
      -C.H.

      Delete