Friday, November 12, 2021

Teaching Advocacy

I read recently that people within academia often experience a higher level of imposter syndrome. When you’re surrounded by intelligent people who are active within their field and community it would be hard not to feel inadequate compared to them. I certainly have felt this way since joining this program. I constantly question my writing skills, ability to critically think, and most recently my advocacy for social injustices. My colleagues and professors are all so insightful and connected to issues that really affect them or others. It’s inspiring and intimidating at the same time. I do feel compelled to join in solidarity with groups that need it, but I don’t know that I always have felt that way.

 

After graduating undergrad I put so much of my focus into my work, climbing the corporate ladder, and enjoying the freedom and autonomy of being an adult. My free time was either spent working more, pursuing hobbies, or dating. Once I found a job I was satisfied with and met my wife I then shifted focus to figuring out what I actually want to do. It was only then that I started to feel called to serve and advocate for those who need it, but I didn’t know what that looked like. I wasn’t sure how to be an advocate, and honestly am still not entirely sure. I’m still learning a lot about discrimination, oppression, and marginalization, and am trying to open my heart to be an ally to all who are experiencing those things.

 

How then am I supposed to teach students to be advocates themselves?

 

The reading this week regarding Communication Activism Pedagogy really struck me. Throughout my education (and life) whenever I read or heard about injustices happening, I would consider the awareness of that injustice as part of the solution. I still do believe that, but now know that awareness alone isn’t sufficient.

 

I’ve taught several lectures this year in my public speaking class regarding topics that I, admittedly, wasn’t all that familiar with, including advocacy. It required me to learn more about the topic than I knew before, and I now know more about it than before. It was kind of a “fake it till you make it” mentality. Which works for when I’m talking about logical fallacies or audience analysis, but not for advocacy. Advocacy requires more of me as a teacher, and students deserve more.

 

I understand that my obligation as a teacher includes advocating against injustices to marginalized groups. Part of that advocacy is teaching students about those injustices and motivating them to also become advocates. But is that enough? If I can get 10 more students to become aware of injustices and to advocate against it, aren’t I doing my part in acting in solidarity? I don’t believe so. In keeping with my mindset of teaching like an organizational leader I must lead by example. I have a long way to go to truly be an advocate for these injustices, but I think this is a good first step. To really empower my students to become advocates themselves, I must also become an advocate.

No comments:

Post a Comment