Thursday, September 30, 2021

Empowering Students Through Grading #empowered

 It has been an interesting first month of being in academia, even tangetially. I'm learning a lot about teaching, students, and myself, and how all three are affected by experiences and expectations. I wasn't sure what to expect out of this experience, but I was pretty certain I would have to do a lot of grading. Sure enough, that is a major responsibility of mine right now. 

I grew up going to pretty highly rated schools. All public schools, but probably about as private as a public school can get. It was a phenomenal education, one that I didn't appreciate until later in life when I realized I had developed certain skills that peers of mine might not have. I remember my freshman year of undergrad my roommate on a whim asked me to review one of his papers. It was terrible. He switched writing perspectives constantly, had run-ons everywhere, and had no concept of a thesis. I couldn't believe he had gotten into college with an essay that might have looked like that. The thing is, he's a brilliant guy. He is always so articulate in conversations and has some level of insight into anything he's asked about. But he didn't grow up learning those same writing skills that I had, which led to him getting worse grades on papers he turned in. Should his educational background affect his ability to succeed in a class that much?

I've been thinking about this a lot lately as I grade students papers and case studies. It all culminated when we discussed grading as a form of oppression, and teachers as oppressors. I was prescribed a certain way of learning, writing, and grading, and I feel compelled to subject my students now to that same prescription. Not really for any other reason besides the fact that that's all I know. Certainly there are students who weren't prescribed to the same education growing up, and their experiences contradict my own. Does that warrant receiving poor grades on their assignments? What does that say about me that I only grade to my expectations and am unable to understand the context of their education?

Freire discussed the idea of "education as a practice of freedom" and how true education can lead to liberation. I feel compelled to empower students to seek this freedom and knowledge, but realize that my actions of grading to my expectations are doing the opposite. True empowerment will require students from all educational backgrounds to thrive in an environment where their individual strengths can be shown.

I’ve been incredibly fortunate to have received the education I did, and it’s ok that I was afforded that privilege. Just as it’s ok that students who come from different educational backgrounds might not have those same skills that I had during my undergraduate years. But each student has a strength that I probably haven’t found yet. If I am to truly empower students then it is my obligation to give each student a chance to display those strengths, without being held down by the arbitrary grades I give them based on my educational expectations. I think this is the first step in understanding what it means to really empower students.

 

Freiere, P. (1972). Pedagogy of the oppressed. Penguin Education.


No comments:

Post a Comment