Saturday, September 22, 2018

Kimbo's COMM 1010 Chronicles: Part 1

As we get closer to entering week five of the Fall semester, I find myself slowly easing into my new norm. My two year break between undergrad and now was necessary for life-planning and self exploration. For the first few months after my graduation, I found myself in a classroom. With no job offers knocking on my door, I visited the idea of earning my teaching certification. So, I signed up to be a substitute teacher in the school district of my hometown to "try-out the classroom." To make a long story short, that try-out was short lived and I quickly jumped at the opportunity to work elsewhere. Ironically, two years later, I'm in the classroom again. This time the setting is different, and so am I. I believe the timeline of my journey is playing a pivotal role in my experience thus far as a teacher. But let's talk about my first day, shall we? I know I'm not the only one who was deathly nervous on the first day of teaching? Right?


The morning of my first class, my alarm buzzed at 7:15 am, and I didn't have to hit the snooze button. Mind you, this only happens when I am extremely excited and nervous about something. I had the perfect morning. I ate a bowl of Kellog's Special K Cereal with vanilla almond milk, had enough time to apply my makeup perfectly, and my outfit was ironed the night before. I was out the door and at my building by 8:35 am for my 9:00 am class. Once I walked in the building, I took a seat on the couch near my classroom. I immediately noticed my students were already gathering around the door, waiting nervously just as I was. After sweating bullets for fifteen minutes, I confidently stood up and walked to the door while spitting out "Good Morning!" to the nervous faces gathered around. We all piled in the classroom and the silence was THICK. I nervously stumbled in my backpack, searching for my clicker and replaying my words for the day in my head. I was a HOT MESS.  #TheREAL #BerryBlues

My classes ended up going well. My nervousness never went away, I sweated bullets all day before each class BUT I got through it and that's what matters. Throughout the first few weeks, I've had my ups and downs with my students. I've realized that they don't listen to everything I say, and they won't. They all don't follow directions and they all don't participate how I would like them to. However, those things should be expected. Every student is different. So is every teacher. None of my students have had a 5'0, quirky, energetic, Beyonce loving, 24 year old teacher named Kimberly Berry, at least I would assume. Bain said that "caring is crucial," although I don't have all the answers, and my teaching may be rough around the edges right now, I do care. I have witty, funny, intelligent students who have came to college on a journey, just like I did six years ago. Bain says that the best college teachers have faith in their student's ability to achieve. As the semester continues and I'm beginning to get comfortable, I have consistently looked back on Bain's words throughout his book. I'm reminding myself daily to be myself in the classroom. Starting there gives me the formula to succeed.  #DoYouBoo

Kill IT this semester, friends!

-Kimbo




2 comments:

  1. Ironically, two years later, I'm in the classroom again. This time the setting is different, and so am I. —— I can relate to this on a spiritual level girl!!! Literally the words right out of my head.

    “I have witty, funny, intelligent students who have came to college on a journey, just like I did six years ago” PREACH. IT. SISTER.

    I feel you on the #hotmessexpress train, sister. I had my first facilitation in our crisis and comm class yesterday, and I swear there were literal crickets…
    It makes me nervous about my ideal career in academia, but it gives me warm fuzzies knowing that you have felt the same way with your students as I have in facilitating in class.

    Definitely make sure to do you boo! You’re incredible, and your students are lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kim! I love how you talked about how being you in your classroom is the only thing you can be. And you were not alone in being nervous on the first day! I caught my hand literally trembling as I was organizing my stuff on the table before I started talking. I could see in their faces the "are you seriously our teacher, like how even old are you?" look. When you leave your class, I'm going to my first one, and seeing you and hearing you say, "Hey Rowdy!" always brightens my day and gets me so energized and ready to get my class going!

    ReplyDelete