Thursday, September 27, 2018

Experience is LIFE


Blog Post #1
“Leading Class Discussion”
Leading Class Discussion is one of the more difficult strategies for me to get my students engaged. I feel that is because I am usually nervous in leading discussion. I know to some people I may seem outgoing and excited to meet new people but in reality it is because that is what is EXPECTED of me. However, I do like meeting and talking to new people without the added pressure of them wanting something from me (i.e. test reviews). I found that in my journey of teaching that I am teaching based on my experiences. If there is a concept that I do not what it is, I do know what it is not because of certain experiences that I tie to whatever I am learning.
It can be hard to lead discussions when it comes to experiential learning, because everyone has different viewpoints and experiences that can be added to the conversation in a way that we can learn. However, this is a good thing because everyone involved can say what think and learn from what others think. 

John Dewey who impacted the education with the concept of “Experiential Learning” says that it “influences the formation of attitudes of desire and purpose” and also that “every genuine experience has an active side which experiences are had” (39). This is important to note because it’s the experiences that could be internalized or externalized to help a person understand a concept in class and can even apply it to outside factors such as life.

For example, in class this week I was trying to make a connection for the class. The question was “What is the difference between complementing, accenting, and repeating?” the student went on to say that the line is blurred because they are all similar. I process the question and then I ask them to break it down. Again, they were a bit confused but we continued. I asked them to give me an example of a “compliment,” nothing fancy or difficult. The students then began to engage because they knew what a “compliment” was and what it was not. One student said “a compliment is something you say to someone, for example, I like your jeans or you’re pretty.” They still looked at me on confusion (this is where I began to worry). I then told them that “COMPLEMENTING” in communication is when your nonverbal communication messages are in sync with one another sort of like the compliment example. Again…. They were STILL confused.
They looked like..

confused ice cube GIF



The next question I asked how could this apply to communication??
They sat in silence… well we all sat in silence as they talked amongst themselves… This is where I answered my own question (a BIG no no I know) so in all their silence they kind of leaned in when I said “Complementing is something that adds to the conversation, and a good example would be active listening” If someone is talking and you are listening and nodding your head then you are “COMPLEMENTING” with your nonverbals that adds to the conversation rather than taking away. You all can connect this to the example we had about the “COMPLIMENTS” and they add rather than taking away from the situation. If I am complimenting someone on their outfit, we are adding that small thing to the conversation in the same way we added nonverbal in “COMPLEMENTING” in communication.

Thankfully, they all (at least it seemed) got the concept!
Unfortunately, I had to do that for every one and it did help but we ran out of time… All in all, I found a way to make connections in concepts through experiences (compliments) and we used a little bit of discussion. 2 birds one stone! *dusts off shoulders*
#itsfine #ShanWOW #ShakenNOTStirred

2 comments:

  1. Using Dewey's "experiential learning" within the classroom can sometimes be a difficult and interesting concept to bring into the classroom. In know that everyone comes from different backgrounds, especially the fact that most students are most likely business majors or even visual arts majors. In addition to the different majors, students bring their own methods of interpreting information in the classroom and their own learning styles. Some students may have been taught to learn in ways that are different than many other students in the classroom and may have different experiences in a classroom setting. Sometimes when I teach COMM 1010, trying to find examples that can relate to almost everyone's experiences is a difficult process. When trying to further explain information, the blank stares can sometimes be really misleading, as if some students may be understanding the information while others may not be understanding the connections. I remember when teaching nonverbal communication as well, simply telling the students about the different types can be difficult at times. Once I read the students books and had them fill out a piece of paper focusing on what nonverbals I used, they begin to further understand how nonverbals can relate to their own lives. Most students have had some interaction and experience with storytelling, allowing for a more personal relationship to each student's learning process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the play the staring game with the students, or straight up just cold-calling students who aren't engaged or haven't participated in a while. As much as I don't like to cold-call, I know from personal experience that it forces you to sit up and pay attention, or look like an idiot. Now, I know it is not our goal to make students feel dumb, rather it is the opposite, but sometimes this is the kick in the pants that the students need. Now, if it's clearly a class full of zombies because the material is difficult or wasn't covered well, then I can understand a little bit and maybe we do need to throw the students a line every once in a while until they can latch on themselves. Either way, it sounds like you handled it pretty well and figured out better ways to teach next time!

    ReplyDelete