Saturday, September 24, 2016

Enthusiasm in Student Motivation & Active Learning

Week four of classes just ended and even though we all try to look like this:

We can't help but feel like this:


I'm TIRED, my students are tired, everyone is catching the plague, and I'm trying to find any reason, big or small, to continue being enthusiastic in my life and teaching.

When I read the word "enthusiasm" in this week's text, I was, well, enthusiastic. Maybe this is the sign that I needed? Maybe this will be the magic solution that I needed to keep up the enthusiasm with my students. It's a good idea, at least.

Barkley (2010) discussed student engagement as a combination of motivation and active learning. "Whether teachers think primarily of the motivational or active learning elements of student engagement, they are quick to point out that both are required" (p. 6). Well, guess what? Motivation takes enthusiasm! *insert jazz hands here* FINALLY, a reason to be excited. To me, enthusiasm is more than just encouraging, supporting, and smiling until your face hurts. It's a way of life, and I want to apply it to the classroom.

However, this part of the chapter discusses the idea enthusiasm isn't some secret recipe that allows students to automatically learn. It must be combined with the motivation and active learning. "Student engagement is a process and a product that is experienced on a continuum and results from the synergistic interaction between motivation and active learning" (p. 8). These components can't work alone and can help students transform into better learners. This is not easy though. How can we all accomplish a transformation?

For me, this means I need to make the content interesting to students and be excited about it. I need to be excited about what each student is doing and facilitate their enthusiasm as much as possible to help their motivation. This enthusiasm combines with several student engagement techniques from Barkley (2010) including expecting and helping students to succeed and celebrating the class as a community that can celebrate each student's achievements inside and outside of the classroom. I can use these.

After reading, I realized that all of this excitement is exceedingly important during stressful times within the semester. Keeping up the enthusiasm could potentially be the one component keeping students (and my) motivation and active learning in check to facilitate better student engagement.

I guess we will just have to wait to find out. But for now, the enthusiasm is back.
#happyhappyjoyjoy #enthusiasm

-Taylor

Barkley, E. F. (2010). Student engagement techniques. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass

3 comments:

  1. You make me smile, too. I pretty much took a half-semester crash course in 3010 from you in the Comm Library last Spring. You always seemed so enthused, engaged and happy to help; even though there's no way that was always the case, it meant a lot that someone so much more knowledgeable seemed authentically on my team- that helped me keep going and keep learning. I couldn't have stood up to any term paper's last semester without your confident pragmatic attitude in my corner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. papers**** wtf apostrophe?! SEE... This is why I need you.

    ReplyDelete