Sunday, December 2, 2018

No CAP!


Pedagogy and Activism
Now that the semester is coming to a close, I have learned way more than I originally anticipated. For instance, seeing that I had no intention of becoming a teacher EVER, I am surprisingly good at it. However, the following claim may be different after SPOT evals so I am going to continue to claim it until then. We finished out the semester discussing popular culture in the classroom as a way of learning and we also read about pedagogy and activism. More specifically, Critical Pedagogy and Activism better known as CAP and CCP, which Critical Communication Pedagogy. The two are similar but still different in their own way. Given that we all read the article I won’t go into the definition of either, however, given what I now know I can tell that I would have a CCP approach to my classroom. I want to bring awareness to an issue that makes my students question the other cultures. This is a solid approach because given the age group that I work with, and the exposure that will inevitable get is something that I would like to have a hand in.

NO CAP!

Accordding to urbandictionary.com, No Cap means no lie which is the truth. Some ways that this phrase is used: This class was the best ever, no cap!

 Image result for no cap








No cap is a pop culture reference and is usually used to show how truthful someone is being about a given subject. For popular culture in the classroom through activism is something that I would use in my upper division classes once they have an idea of some of the struggles and problems that we all face today. Last week in 1010 we had our first discussion about privilege, oppression, stereotypes, and power, this week is something I dreaded last semester because I have been in a class where things like this can be taken in the wrong way, thus causing majority of the class to lose the entire point of the discussion or activity. However, it was something that needed to get done and once again it went better than I expected. Together we all learned something new that sparked questions during the debrief section. The class was open to talking about religion, privilege, and class without stepping on toes but remaining true to themselves and others.
When I say that this semester has been one for the books, I mean it. No cap.

No comments:

Post a Comment