Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Teaching across cultures: A final note on intersectionality and reflexivity

Teaching across cultures: A final note on intersectionality and reflexivity

Since my blog post last night was so damn long (sorry about that), I’ll keep this one brief. It’s not quite as academically substantive as other posts I’ve written, but I it’s something I’ve been reflecting on that I believe is important when considering the idea of teaching across cultures.

Yesterday in my 1010 classes, we did an activity from our CIA workbook about cultural stereotypes. To begin, each student was to identify a cultural identity that they associate with. The workbook listed three examples: race, religion, nationality. As we began the activity, I asked my students, “What is a cultural identity?” I asked this question to try to extend their thinking beyond what we traditionally associate with the word “culture”. We had a brief discussion on intersectionality and how one person can embody many different cultural identities.

Why is it that when we hear the word “culture”, we automatically think of race or nationality? I asked my class what personal cultural identity they chose to write about. One student said “veteran”. Another said “gamer”. I was so pleased to hear my students thinking about all the different forms culture can take and how those different cultures affect us.

I urge you to remember that when you consider the notion of teaching across cultures, bridging the cultural gap between yourself and your students, and enacting critical communication pedagogy, remember that you are not just leading a classroom of racialized bodies, but also of individuals with diverse spiritual beliefs, sexual orientations, genders, political beliefs, socioeconomic statuses, family backgrounds, and more. As always, exercising reflexivity in the classroom is important to reflect on your own cultural identities, how they inform your worldview, and how to go about effectively teaching across cultures considering your own identity and positionality.

LLP

#teachingacrosscultures

No comments:

Post a Comment