Saturday, September 26, 2015

Grappling with Reading

We have finally completed the first section. The readings we have been required to do for the course, whilst they have addressed many of the concerns I have with applying modern pedagogical techniques to teaching, is not enough for me to learn what it is the course purports to discuss. I need more.
Blended Learning in Higher Education, written by D. Randy Garrison and Norman D. Vaughan, is the only text thus far I have managed personally relate to. I have experience in taking blended learning courses. Both of the blended learning courses I have taken, a biology and psychology course, contributed credit hours towards an associate in arts degree. This was at least five years ago. I have since not had the opportunity to take the kind of blended course I would have liked.
Whilst we talk about the integration of modern teaching techniques, I have yet to see any of those techniques applied to this course. With reading after reading after reading, there has been nothing applied to the course which directly addresses the style of learning I require. Reading about blended learning is not enough for me to learn about what it is the text covers. Reading works for many students. Unfortunately for me, reading is not a medium that lends itself to my successfully learning the material. I actually need material I can hear. I need material I can watch. All we have done thus far is read. When are we going to incorporate learning techniques for visual learners? 
We discussed how learning works after we read the aptly titled How Learning Works: Seven Research-Based Principles for Smart Teaching. How Learning Works, written by Susan A. Ambrose, Michael W. Bridges, Marsha C. Lovett, Michele DiPietro, and Marie K. Norman, outlines the seven key principles to teaching in a modern pedagogical setting. If only I could get learning to work for me.

4 comments:

  1. The irony of graduate courses . . . read. discuss. read. discuss. At least we do spend some time putting experiential learning into practices by using some the student engagement techniques in class, but you are right the multi-media experience and use of popular culture is lacking. Challenge accepted! Let me think on it. . . . anyone with ideas? I do already have a video we are going to watch on hooks night. Dewey is up next week? Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen,

      This is true. I could not agree more. We do spend time putting experimental learning into practice. This is an aspect of the course I enjoy greatly.

      Delete
  2. Hi Shain! According to Bright Hub Education, visual learners benefit from writing and drawing. In the sessions when we "drew" the map and wrote on post-its, did you get more out of material? The upcoming video that Dr. Anderson-Lain mentioned will probably help you too, right?

    Source: http://www.brighthubeducation.com/teaching-methods-tips/128401-an-overview-of-visual-learners/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy,

      Yes. I suspect the video we will be watching for Hook will benefit me greatly. I was excited to see that there is a DVD in the book I read for class. I read "The Courage to Teach: A Guide for Reflection and Renewal." Unfortunately, it was the presence of the DVD that made me realise I had read the wrong book. "The Courage to Teach: Exploring the Inner Landscape of a Teacher’s Life" has a CD not a DVD.

      Delete